This Halloween Jalapeno Mummy poppers recipe takes regular stuffed jalapeno poppers and transforms them into a fun and spooky holiday-themed snack or appetizer for parties and other celebrations!
These creative Halloween snacks are incredibly straightforward to make and can also easily be made a few days to a couple of months ahead of time.
Serve your Halloween Jalapeno Mummy poppers alongside a sweet chili sauce or dipping sauce of your choice; or add them to a Halloween-themed charcuterie board. Either way, these Halloween poppers are certainly going to turn heads!
WHAT ARE HALLOWEEN JALAPENO MUMMY POPPERS?
These Halloween Jalapeno appetizers are a cute twist on regular cream cheese stuffed Jalapeno poppers. You start by hollowing out jalapeno peppers and then stuffing them with a mix of cream cheese, cheddar, and bacon.
Instead of breading these poppers to bake or fry once stuffed, these Halloween Jalapeno Mummies are first wrapped with thin puff pastry strips to resemble the bandages of mummies. Once baked, these mummy poppers are then completed with some candy eyes!
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE THESE JALAPENOS?
Instead of jumping right into it, you should definitely take care to ensure that you’ve washed your hands before and after handling the raw peppers. If you don’t, you could end up touching your face or eyes with jalapeno pepper juice which won’t be pleasant!
I also recommend wearing latex gloves while hollowing out and handling the raw jalapeno peppers to eliminate any potential burning sensation on the skin of your hands.
CAN I PREPARE THESE HALLOWEEN JALAPENO MUMMY APPETIZERS AHEAD OF TIME?
Absolutely! With that said, I do think that these jalapeno mummy poppers taste the best when served within 30 minutes of baking, although they can also be served at room temperature.
There are three ways that you could make these Halloween Jalapeno Mummies ahead of time:
- Bake and store your poppers in the refrigerator 1-2 days ahead of serving. Reheat in the oven at 375F for about 10 minutes.
- Assemble these jalapeno mummies, following the steps just prior to baking. Store your unbaked poppers on a tray wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and placed in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours ahead of baking and serving.
- Assemble your poppers without wrapping them in puff pastry. Flash freeze them on a tray and then transfer them to an airtight container or a Ziploc bag to store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, wrap them with pastry and egg wash to bake and serve.
TIPS FOR MAKING HALLOWEEN JALAPENO MUMMIES
- While I love these Halloween Jalapeno Mummies as is, consider adapting the recipe in the following way:
- Instead of using cheddar cheese, try a blend of Pepper Jack, Smoked cheddar, Gouda or Swiss.
- Instead of bacon, use salami or spiced ham.
- Leaving the stem on your jalapenos when preparing them is completely optional although you may find that it’s easier for holding this Halloween-inspired snack/appetizer – it’s completely up to you.
- While you do need to cool your jalapeno mummies for 10 minutes after baking, it’s just as important to stick the candy eyes onto the pastry while it’s still hot otherwise they won’t adhere and will fall off.
- Don’t over-stuff your peppers with the cream cheese mixture otherwise the excess will spill out during baking, resulting in a bit of a mess and potentially affect the overall appearance of your poppers.
- If you’re catering to a party crowd, consider doubling this recipe.
- 7-10 large jalapenos
- ¾ cups cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 6 sliced and cooked bacon (optional)
- 2 pieces puff pastry
- 28-40 candy eyes (for decoration)
- Egg yolk (for puff pastry)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200C)
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and bacon.
- Cut the jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Spread the cheese mixture into the jalapenos with the help of a
- Slice the puff pastry into thin strips with a pizza cutter.
- Wrap 2-3 strips around the stuffed jalapenos.
- Leave some space for the eyes.
- Brush egg yolk on the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
Leaving the stem on your jalapenos when preparing them is completely optional although you may find that it’s easier for holding this Halloween-inspired snack/appetizer - it’s completely up to you.
While you do need to cool your jalapeno mummies for 10 minutes after baking, it’s just as important to stick the candy eyes onto the pastry while it’s still hot otherwise they won’t adhere and will fall off.
Don’t over-stuff your peppers with the cream cheese mixture otherwise the excess will spill out during baking, resulting in a bit of a mess and potentially affect the overall appearance of your poppers.