Mummy Peanut Butter Sugar Cookies
Looking for a cute alternative to the usual spooky and gruesome Halloween treats and snacks? These adorable Mummy Peanut Butter Sugar Cookies will cheer up any room while offering a melt-in-your-mouth cookie as well as additional Halloween decor – perfect for any party snack spread!
This recipe uses a simple sugar cookie dough with smooth and creamy peanut butter as a delicious cookie base that is then creatively decorated as a mummy with white icing “bandages” and candy eyes!
Gift these Mummy peanut Butter Sugar Cookies in clear cello bags with ribbon and cute Halloween Gift tags to friendsand family or add them to your Halloween charcuterie board for kids and adults to enjoy this spooky season!
HOW SHOULD I STORE THESE MUMMY PEANUT BUTTER SUGAR COOKIES?
Store these mummy peanut butter sugar cookies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
You can also freeze these baked cookies by first flash freezing them on a baking tray and then transferring them to an airtight container or Ziploc bag for 1-2 months. Thaw overnight at room temperature and serve.
Pro Tip: If you’re considering freezing these baked cookies after decorated, be prepared for the candy eyes to potentially bleed in color and slip off when thawing out.
While this may not bother you if these frozen cookies are merely leftovers from your Halloween party, it will if you are doing so as a way to make the cookies ahead of any parties. In that case, I suggest that you only freeze the actual baked cookie and decorate it just prior to serving.
DON’T I HAVE TO CHILL MY MUMMY PEANUT BUTTER SUGAR COOKIE DOUGH BEFORE BAKING?
No, not for this recipe. I mean, there’s nothing wrong if you choose to chill your dough, it’s just not necessary when making a batch of these peanut butter sugar cookies and it won’t affect the outcome of your cookies either way.
Of course, feel free to store your cookie dough, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for 1-2 months if you plan on making the dough ahead of baking the cookies.
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT COOKIE BASE FOR THIS RECIPE?
Absolutely! If peanut butter sugar cookies don’t do it for you then feel free to use a different type of cookie base. You can use a fabulous chocolate shortbread cookie recipe that I used in my Witch cookies or chocolate chip cookies. YES!
CAN I USE STORE-BOUGHT COOKIES INSTEAD OF MAKING MY OWN?
Yes, you can! While a sugar cookie is a pretty basic cookie recipe, I also get that sometimes busy schedules don’t allow for making a recipe entirely from scratch.
Instead of skipping this delightful Halloween cookie, consider using store-bought sugar cookies or any other cookies from your local store that you’d prefer and then merely add on the white icing and candy eyes! Gingersnaps, Oreos (original or Golden), or oatmeal cookies would also work.
TIPS FOR MAKING MUMMY PEANUT BUTTER SUGAR COOKIES
- Save yourself some time and use store-bought peanut butter sugar cookies instead that will then only need decorating or purchased refrigerated cookie dough instead of making the cookie dough from scratch!
- While I’ve used white icing in a tube for creating the “mummy bandages” look, feel free to use white chocolate chips instead that you can melt down through a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Consider adding in some cocoa powder into your cookie dough for chocolate peanut butter sugar cookie mummies! They’ll taste and look just as great.
- It’s best to use a room temperature egg for the cookie dough. If your egg is cold, you can simply place in a bowl of warm water for approximately 5-6 minutes.
- I always find that using a cookie scoop helps to create uniform-sized cookies that also bake evenly. If you don’t have a cookie scoop then a regular spoon will also do.
Mummy Peanut Butter Sugar Cookies
These adorable Mummy Peanut Butter Sugar Cookies
will cheer up any room while offering a melt-in-your-mouth cookie as well as additional Halloween decor - perfect for any party snack spread!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- White icing in a tube
- Candy eyeballs
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Using parchment paper, line a large cookie sheet.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, beat the peanut butter for a minute.
- Add in the stick of butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar with the peanut butter. Add in the vanilla bean paste and egg. Beat again.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl.
- With your stand or hand mixer on low, slowly pour the flour mixture in with the peanut butter and sugar mixture.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop dough out and place onto the cookie sheet 1 inch apart. If you want larger cookies, you can use a full-sized ice cream scoop.
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Cookies should be firm but not hard and edges should be slightly browned but not overly dark. Allow to cool completely before the final step.
- To add the mummy face, add icing in a zigzag motion across the cookie. Be sure to leave gaps and to not entirely fill the cookie in with the icing. Add the candy eyeballs (or chocolate chips, M&Ms, or black dots of icing in a pinch) and enjoy!
Add in some chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or butterscotch chips into the cookie dough for a more decadent cookie base.