The Best Homemade Mozzarella Sticks With Mezzetta Sauce
These are, without a doubt, the Best Mozzarella Sticks with Mezzetta Sauce you’ve ever tasted! This recipe calls for minimal ingredients and an easy cooking process that will have you enjoying crispy and gooey mozzarella wedges in no time!
Serve these mouth-watering appetizers with a bowl of Mezzetta sauce or any other dipping sauce you love the most!
These homemade mozzarella sticks are close to my heart and my version of the ones served at a pizza place I used to work at during college! They are incredibly easy to make and absolutely mouth-watering!
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THESE MOZZARELLA STICKS
I’ve chosen to pair these mozzarella sticks with a sauce from the Mezzetta brand, which I trust for the freshness of ingredients without unwanted preservatives or added sugar.
HOW SHOULD I STORE THESE MOZZARELLA STICKS?
These mozzarella sticks can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days, although the texture of the flour coating may become soft as soon as a day after storage.
When storing these mozzarella sticks, avoid stacking them in the container, as the flour coating will cause them to stick together.
HOW SHOULD I REHEAT LEFTOVER MOZZARELLA STICKS?
You can reheat leftover mozzarella sticks in the oven at 350F for 10-15 minutes. Add them to a parchment-lined baking sheet and watch closely to ensure they crisp up. It might be a good idea to turn them over halfway through cooking.
Alternatively, if you have an air fryer, then you could reheat them in the air fryer for a few minutes. While these mozzarella sticks could be reheated in a frying pan on the stovetop, you could end up with extra oily appetizers from using additional oil.
CAN I FREEZE THESE MOZZARELLA STICKS
Yes! Once completely cool, place these mozzarella sticks on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Once hardened, transfer these cheese wedges to an airtight container or Ziploc bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat as directed above.
ARE THESE HOMEMADE MOZZARELLA STICKS KETO-FRIENDLY?
Absolutely! This recipe does include flour dredging, but it won’t be enough to kick you out of ketosis unless you plan on eating all of these mozzarella sticks yourself!
The mozzarella is a good source of healthy fat, making the mozzarella sticks an ideal low-carb, high-fat snack!
WHAT VARIATIONS CAN I MAKE TO THIS RECIPE?
- Change the flavor profile of these mozzarella sticks by combining the flour with your favorite seasoning and spices.
- Add cayenne pepper, red chili flakes, or paprika to the flour coating for a kick of heat.
- You can omit the flour coating and wrap these mozzarella sticks with a slice of bacon each. Wrap the mozzarella sticks so they are completely covered by the bacon, and secure the ends with toothpicks. Add them to the freezer to harden for at least 30 minutes, and then pan-fry them until the bacon is crispy and the mozzarella is warm and gooey.
- Add panko breadcrumbs to the flour dredging process. This will add a delicious crunchy outer crust.
HOW SHOULD I SERVE THESE MOZZARELLA STICKS?
Serve these homemade mozzarella sticks with Mezzetta Parmesan, Asiago & Romano Sauce to dip into. You could also use another favorite dipping sauce.
These mozzarella sticks can be enjoyed as a snack or an appetizer with raw veggies, deli meats, crackers, and much more!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST HOMEMADE MOZZARELLA STICKS WITH MEZZETTA SAUCE
- Choose quality mozzarella cheese for this recipe – it makes a big difference in taste and texture to these appetizers.
- Allow the freshly fried mozzarella sticks to sit on paper towels for a minute or two before serving. This will allow any excess oil to be soaked up.
- Double-coat these mozzarella sticks with the buttermilk and flour, otherwise, the coating won’t be thick enough and may disintegrate in the pan.
- Don’t overcrowd the frying pan. It’s better to fry these mozzarella sticks in smaller batches.
- The oil must be heated in the pan before adding the mozzarella sticks, or the flour coating will soak up the oil and become overly soggy.
Then plate and serve to everyone! Super easy and delicious!
More Appetizer Recipes
If you’re looking for more great appetizers, then give these a try! A little something for everyone!
Best Homemade Mozzarella Sticks With Mezzetta Sauce
- 2 Cups of Milk or Buttermilk
- 3 Cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1 Pound of Mozzarella
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Mezzetta Parmesan, Asiago & Romano Sauce (For dipping)