Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken
This Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken is easy to make, irresistibly flavorful, and perfect for the start of any season. With a rich island flavor, this entree is loaded with chicken, garlic, ginger, and chili peppers, creating a full-flavored chicken dish topped with pineapple and bell pepper for added sweetness.
What is Pineapple Chicken?
Pineapple Chicken is a simple, classic, traditionally Filipino dish packed with the flavors of chicken and peppers and topped with pineapple. Our version is cooked in a slow cooker, making it easy to serve up all the sweet and savory flavors of the meal without spending hours in the kitchen.
How Do I Store Pineapple Chicken?
You can store the Pineapple Chicken in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or for around 4-6 months in the freezer.
Can I Freeze Pineapple Chicken?
Absolutely! In fact, why not make a double batch and freeze some for an even simpler meal in a pinch or in smaller containers for lunches to take to work? Your co-workers will be so jealous!
Can I cook Pineapple Chicken in the oven?
Yes. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking pan with foil. Brush the chicken generously with the liquid mixture and arrange pineapple and bell pepper on top of the chicken. Spoon additional liquid mixture over the chicken. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. During the last 5 minutes, baste the chicken with the liquid mixture. Remove from the oven and cover with aluminum foil for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Tips for Making Pineapple Chicken
- You can use fresh pineapple in Pineapple Chicken if you don’t have canned pineapple. If you do use canned pineapple, make sure the canned contents contain natural juice rather than syrup.
- If you are preparing Pineapple Chicken in advance, ensure you don’t soak the chicken in pineapple juice for longer than 3 days. The acid in the juice will break down the meat resulting in a more rubbery texture.
- For a vegetarian option, consider swapping out the chicken for tofu.
Instant Pot Thai Chicken Thighs
Instant Pot Lentil Curry
Instant Pot Buffalo Wings
I know you are going to love this recipe. But before you try Pineapple Chicken, here’s what you should know:
- You can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs to make Pineapple Chicken.
- Serve with a side of rice, quinoa, or this Summer Couscous Salad.
- I recommend letting the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before serving to ensure it has reached the perfect internal temperature.
- Corn starch: You can use flour instead of cornstarch in Pineapple Chicken. Remember that you will need more of it to get the same effect as the cornstarch, so begin with 2 Tablespoons and add 1 Tablespoon at a time to the water to achieve the right consistency.
- Soy Sauce: Substitute soy sauce with coconut aminos in Pineapple Chicken.
- Freshly Grated Ginger: If you don’t have fresh ginger on hand, add ginger spice ½ tsp at a time into the liquid mixture, and whisk until you reach the desired taste.
More Yummy Chicken Recipes You’ll Enjoy
If you like this Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken, you’ll want to try some of our other easy chicken recipes! Try any from the list below.
Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken
Crockpot Sweet Chile Chicken
Instant Pot Chicken Parmigiana
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken
This Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken is easy to make, irresistibly flavorful, and perfect for the start of summer.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 - 20 ounce can pineapple chunks in natural juice (not syrup)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 dried red chili peppers
- 3 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow) cut into 1” cubes
- Place chicken cubes into your slow cooker.
- Drain pineapple juice from can, and place to side.
- Layer pineapple, and mixed cut bell peppers on top of chicken.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together soy sauce, pineapple juice, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil. Pour liquid mixture over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-5 hours or HIGH for 3 – 3 1/2 hours, until cooked through. Once done, mix together cornstarch and water to create slurry. Gently mix into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for approximately 20-30 minutes.
•It’s important to note that your pineapple chunks need to natural juice, and not the syrup. The syrup will burn and not give flavor that the chicken needs to cook in.
•If you want a more sweetened flavor, you can add in 1/4 cup of light brown sugar into the juices before pouring over the chicken.
•Don’t have whole red chilies? You can easily replace it with red pepper flakes. Substitute 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes