Pizza Gnocchi Casserole
The ultimate list of comfort foods for a movie night or a simple day at home starts with pizzas and pasta and ends with mashed potatoes! What if we fuse all these warm cheesy delights into one extra creamy, warm, and comforting dish? The ultimate comfort food, the pizza gnocchi casserole!
However, it’s not limited to movie nights only! I make the pizza gnocchi casserole all the time because my family loves it, and it’s pretty easy with just 4 basic ingredients. It’s the best dish for days when you lack the motivation to whip up something fancy, want to make something the kids would love, or something for a laid-back friends’ get-together.
Why We Love Pizza Gnocchi Casserole?
Because it has been a crowd-pleaser whenever I make it! And why shouldn’t it be?
It’s one of the most delicious, creamy, and cheesy dishes ever! And if you’ve got friends and family who are cheese lovers, this dish should be on the top of the list of dishes you prepare specially for them.
What makes this recipe great is the fact that it only requires 4 basic ingredients: Potato gnocchi, pepperoni, tomato slices, and cheese, lots of it! And preparing the pizza gnocchi casserole is also relatively straightforward; even a 5-year-old could make it!
Instant Pot Squash Casserole
Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies
Pineapple Banana Cake
You simply have to prepare the gnocchi like instant noodles by boiling it in water. After that, it is just layering the ingredients in a baking dish like lasagne and baking till the ingredients are cooked, and the cheese melts.
See, it’s that simple!
As for the taste, I could go on and on about it. To give you an idea, let me just say that the pizza gnocchi casserole is like a warm cheesy dream come true!
So, how do you make this bowl of deliciousness? Let’s have a look!
Ingredients for the Pizza Gnocchi Casserole Recipe
- 16 oz (1 Ib) potato gnocchi: You can find gnocchi in the pasta section of the grocery store.
- 3 oz pepperoni slices: To add that salty, spicy, tangy, and meaty flavor to the gnocchi casserole.
- 14 oz organic tomato sauce: You can add pepper or red chilies to the tomato sauce for added taste or make one at home.
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese: You can get a block of mozzarella and shred it manually because pre-shredded mozzarella does not melt properly.
- Fresh basil to garnish: To add a fresh and appetizing look to the already mouthwatering casserole.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
As always, we have some common queries from people who have already tried the pizza gnocchi recipe or are going to give it a try. I have answered some of them for everyone’s convenience.
Q. Can we add more ingredients to the pizza gnocchi casserole recipe?
I made the pizza using all basic ingredients; however, you can add more ingredients per your preference and taste. Some of the add-ins I suggest are jalapenos, ground beef, turkey, mushrooms, bacon, olives, peppers, baby spinach, sweet corn, and Italian seasoning. You can try other ingredients also that you usually add to your pizzas and pasta.
Q. Can we use other cheeses with mozzarella cheese?
I spot a true cheese lover here! 😉
For added flavor and extra cheesiness, you can definitely use other cheese varieties like parmesan, ricotta, and sliced mozzarella cheese.
Q. For how long do I have to bake the pizza gnocchi casserole?
You have to bake the casserole for approximately 15 minutes for the pepperoni and tomato slices to cook properly. Then after giving the casserole a mix and adding more cheese to it, you can bake it for 5 minutes till the cheese melts and the casserole gets all bubbly around the edges.
Q. What can I serve with the pizza gnocchi casserole?
The pizza gnocchi casserole is a hearty dish in itself, so light sides would go well with it. Some suggestions are plain or garlic bread, fresh salad, or steamed vegetables.
Q. How to store leftover pizza gnocchi casserole?
You can store the leftover casserole in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and in the freezer for up to a month.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some useful tips and tricks to make this recipe a hit:
1. You can switch the tomato sauce with mushroom pasta sauce or roasted garlic pasta sauce for a change of flavor.
2. You can use cheddar, provolone, parmesan, or any other cheese you like with mozzarella.
3. You can experiment with different toppings according to your taste and preference.
More Delicious Recipes to Make
- Feta Cheese Covered Olives
- Whipped Feta Dip
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Baked Keto Meatballs
- Cauliflower Fritters
- Oven Broiled Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
Pizza Gnocchi Casserole
- 16 oz (1 Ib) potato gnocchi
- 3 oz pepperoni slices
- 14 oz organic tomato sauce
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200ºC) and choose a baking dish, where you will cook the recipe.
- Cook the potato gnocchi in a big pot in boiling water following the instructions in the package. Drain them and set them aside.
- Put the potato gnocchi, half of the pepperoni slices, the tomato sauce, and half of the cheese into the baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and put it in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Stir to combine the mixture. Add the rest of the pepperoni slices and the shredded mozzarella over the top and cover with foil again. Bake for another 5 minutes in the oven or until the cheese melts.
- Take it out of the oven and decorate it with basil to your liking.
Tip: If you want to adapt the recipe better to your liking, you can do it by adding pepper, basil, or red chili falkes to the tomato sauce or even preparing a homemade tomato sauce.