My Instant Pot Beef and Rice is a simple one pot meal that is bursting with garlic and soy flavors. This dish is perfect for the hectic weeknights when you need to get dinner ready fast, but still want something delicious.
When I first purchased my Instant Pot, I have to admit that I was slightly intimidated. It seemed like an overwhelming task learning to cook with pressure. After cooking a few meals in it though, I fell in love with my pressure cooker because it helps me get a healthy dinner on the table in the shortest amount of time possible.
One of my favorite dinners to make for my family is a one pot dish that includes a protein and a healthy carb, and saves me on having to wash multiple dishes to create. This Instant Pot Beef and Rice recipe meets all my requirements, plus my family enjoys it and I never get any complaints.
Frequently Asked Questions About Instant Pot Beef and Rice
Can I use Another type of Rice?
Yes you can use any type of rice instead of brown rice in this Instant Pot Beef and Rice recipe, just know that different types of rices cook at different types of cooking lengths and require differently levels of liquid.
So, I wouldn’t use Jasmine, Arborio, or white rice. These rices don’t take very long to cook in the Instant Pot, and will turn to mush. HOWEVER, you can totally use Wild Rice! Just note that with Wild rice, you will need approximately 3 cups of liquid.
If you’re going to make other types of rice with this dish, then it will be best too cook PIP (Pot In Pot). Basmati Rice and Jasmine rice will work best in this method.
There is quite a bit of variation when it comes to cooking rice in an Instant Pot because the correct settings and cooking times vary from one type of rice to another.
Per the manufacturer, the “Rice” setting is intended for white or parboiled rice only. For the long-grain brown rice used in this recipe, use the “Manual” setting on high and set the cooking time to 22-25 minutes, “depending on your preferences and any local issues, like high elevation.”
This recipe suggests 22 minutes as the active cooking time, but feel free to extend this time if you prefer softer rice. In addition, this version includes a little more liquid than the 1:1 ratio recommended by the manufacturer to account for the added ingredients
How Do You Store This Instant Pot Beef and Rice For Later?
Store leftover Instant Pot Beef and Rice in your fridge for up to five days. I always reheat my leftovers in the microwave until warm. This makes a great freezer meal recipe to add your list!
Is This Recipe Weight Watchers Friendly?
That really depends on what color MyWW Plan you’re on (Green, Blue, or Purple) and your daily points allotted. You can definitely change up a few things, such as reducing the amount of sesame oil. But let’s talk about the points as is, for a hearty 1 1/2 cup serving size:
The biggest points are coming from the sesame oil and the beef. You can use a different type meat cut, just don’t try to get too much of an extra lean cut piece of beef or it will become very dry and chewy. This is why I recommend using a stewed beef because it’s semi lean, and you can always cut off any type of extra fat off of the meat.
Instant Pot Beef and Rice
- 3 Tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 Tabelspoons sesame oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- ½ t. garlic powder
- ½ t. onion powder
- 2 t. fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs. stew beef, cubed
- 1¼ c. water or beef broth
- 1 c. long-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 T. sesame seeds
- 3 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
How To Make
1. Combine soy sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, honey, lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh ginger, and red pepper flakes in a glass or other non-reactive bowl. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
2. Place the beef cubes into a sealable plastic bag and pour the marinade on top. Seal and gently turn the bag to thoroughly coat the beef. Marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, or place in the refrigerator overnight. Turn the bag occasionally for even distribution of the marinade.
3. To prepare, add remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil to Instant Pot and press the “Sauté” button. Adjust the heat setting to high. Once hot, transfer the beef cubes to the Instant Pot and discard the remaining marinade. Brown the beef on all sides, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add the beef broth and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the container.
4. Turn Instant Pot off and add brown rice. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Add lid and securely lock. Flip the pressure value to the “Sealing” position and press the “Manual” button. Adjust setting to high and set cook time for 22 minutes. After a brief pause, the Instant Pot will automatically start building pressure.
5. When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
6. Carefully remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and chopped parsley, if desired. Serve immediately with your favorite sides. Enjoy!
- You can use different types of beef, such a chuck or sirloin just make sure to cube them.
- Want to add a veggie to your dish? I like adding in diced carrots at the end of browning the meat.
- To reduce the spice level reduce the red pepper flakes down to ¼ teaspoon or leave out all together
- Garnish with sliced green onions to add a bit of a fresh bright taste.
What To Serve With Instant Pot Beef and Rice
I like to serve my beef and rice with a simple side salad. I usually use a ginger based dressing because I think it gives a fresh and zesty zing to a salad with this hearty dish. I have also served with roasted or steamed vegetables. Sometimes I even get a little creative and whip up a quick vegetable stir fry to go with my beef and rice.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
You’ll love these easy Instant Pot Recipes that will make any meal, a delicious and stress free meal. Whether you’re looking for dessert, a side item, or if you’re creating your very own little mini buffet…these recipe will make you happy to eat and make.
- Instant Pot Thai Green Curry
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken
- Instant Pot Meatballs
- Instant Pot Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Instant Pot Baked Beans – Easy No Soak!
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas (Skinny) Recipe
- Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken And Pasta