This Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole is a grand slam home run comfort food with a Mexican“twist.”Your family will go crazy over tater tots mixed with onions, ground turkey, black beans, and a best of all— ooey gooey melty cheese. This dish hits the spot on a chilly, rainy afternoon.
What is Tater Tot Casserole?
Tater Tot Casserole is an easy-to-cook, one-dish meal baked with golden tater tots, ground meat, and a blend of seasonings. This simple and comforting casserole has been a popular choice around the family dinner table because it’s so convenient and very budget-friendly!
How Do I Store Tater Tot Casserole?
You can store leftover Tater Tot Casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Can I Freeze Tater Tot Casserole?
You can freeze Tater Tot Casserole by storing it in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Then, thaw it in the fridge overnight before you reheat it.
Can I Prep Tater Tot Casserole in Advance?
Yes. But Tater Tot Casserole comes together so quickly and easily that there’s almost no reason to do so. If you still want to get a head start with this dish, you can prepare it up to 4 days in advance and either reheat it on the“Keep Warm” setting of your slow cooker or in a glass baking dish prepared with non-stick cooking spray in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Tips for Making Tater Tot Casserole
- Add crumbled bacon bits (the real kind) to Tater Tot Casserole during the last 30 minutes of cook time for added crunch.
- Sprinkle Tater Top Casserole with Chives before serving with a dollop of sour cream.
- Serve with a fresh green salad or a side of pineapple alongside Tater Tot Casserole for a complete meal that your family will love.
Trust me. Double this recipe because leftover Tater Tot Casserole does not last long. But, before making this Slow Cooker Tater Tot recipe, here are a few things you need to know:
- If you want perfectly crispy and crunchy tater tots, save the shredded cheese for after Tater Tot Casserole is done cooking but still warm enough to melt the cheese.
- Salt the ground turkey and each vegetable layer by layer before mixing with the taco seasoning and enchilada sauce. This will ensure that there’s not a bland bite in the whole pot.
- Add sliced bell pepper to the slow cooker to add flavor to your Tater Tot Casserole.
- Turkey – If you don’t mind a few more calories, try substituting sausage for ground turkey in Tater Tot Casserole. Sure, it is not as lean. Oh, but the flavor is so yummy!
- Black Beans – You can modify Tater Tot Casserole with broccoli or canned/frozen green beans instead of black beans.
- Taco Seasoning Mix – If you don’t have a taco seasoning mix, you can make your own. Follow this recipe for Homemade Mild Taco Seasoning.
More Yummy Side Dishes You’ll Enjoy
If you like this Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole recipe, you’ll want to try some of our other easy casseroles! Try any from the list below.