Sometimes, we are all just in need of a quick, easy, and delicious meal. My homemade hamburger helper recipe is just what you need! Of course it’s delicious, but you can really make it in under 20 minutes! Now how’s THAT for a quick and easy meal? Do I know know what hamburger helper tastes like? Unfortunately (or fortunately), no. I haven’t checked their ingredients as of recent; however, the last time I checked they had yellow food color in it…and I’m allergic to food colors (red and yellow).
Besides being quick, easy, and delicious…this is one of those recipes that I call a “Super Comfort Food”. It helps bring back nostalgic memories, and gives your palate a great big hug! Take a look a see how easy it is! Just an FYI, you can easily turn this into a vegetarian dish by using soy protein crumbles!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and my many others that I share!
Homemade Hamburger Helper
- 1 Pound of Ground Beef (80/20)
- 1 - 16oz box of Elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 Cups of Milk
- 3 Cups of Shredded Mild Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon of garlic powder
- Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large pan over medium heat, cook ground beef. While browning ground beef, add onion powder, garlic powder, and sea salt & pepper (to taste).
- While ground beef is cooking, cook elbow macaroni. The pasta should take about 7 minutes to cook.
- Once pasta is done, remove from heat and drain water. Return pasta back to same pot, over a low heat, and add butter and milk. Stir occasionally until butter is melted and milk is heated.
- Add 2½ cups of shredded cheese to pasta, and lightly stir until all cheese has melted and mixed with milk.
- Drain any grease from ground beef and add to pasta. Stir thoroughly and allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Allow pasta to set for a 2 minutes.
- Transfer pasta mixture to a pyrex dish of choice, and sprinkle remaining cheese top.
- Place in oven for approximately 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove and serve!