Melting Snowmen Cupcakes are a fun and creative treat that kids love to make around the holidays. This from-scratch recipe takes just 30 minutes – decorating time included – so no excuses!
You can make these adorable snowmen for the kids (and they can even help!). So, roll up your sleeves and prepare to get messy while making some delicious holiday memories.
What are Melting Snowmen Cupcakes?
Melting Snowmen Cupcakes are delicious buttermilk cupcakes topped with your favorite frosting. The magic of this confection is all in the marshmallows. Each is uniquely decorated with black and orange icing to look like “faces.” Add M&M’s for your snowmen’s buttons, and there you have it – a melted snowman!
How Do I Store Melting Snowmen Cupcakes?
You can store Melting Snowmen Cupcakes at room temperature in a sealed, airtight container for up to three days. Cupcakes will last up to one week in the refrigerator and six months in the freezer.
Can I Freeze These Adorable Christmas Cupcakes?
Place individually wrapped cupcakes in a glass or plastic airtight container to protect the frosting and allow the icing to hold its shape better. Store in the freezer for up to six months.
Can I use a filling inside these cupcakes?
That sounds delicious! You can create a cupcake filling with mousse, pudding or additional frosting. Use an apple corer to “core” out a section in the middle of the cupcake. Fill the hole with your filling and place a 1/2″ cake “plug” to cover the filling.
How do I keep my cupcakes from falling flat?
If you refrigerate the batter for 30-60 minutes, the cupcakes will keep their dome shape after baking. Don’t overbeat the cupcake batter, as this will make the dough more elastic and make it cave inward. Try not to overfill.
How do I keep the paper from pulling away from the cupcake?
Pulling tends to happen during cooling or thawing. Leave them in the pan for no longer than 5 minutes to cool. Make sure they are completely cool before covering them.
Tips for Making Melting Snowmen Cupcakes
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill the papers evenly. About 3 tbsp per cupcake will turn out perfectly.
- Have all the ingredients (eggs, buttermilk, etc.) at room temp before making the batter.
- Getting the snowman’s face how you want it can take a few tries. So, have a few extra marshmallows on hand, and have fun with them!
Melting Snowmen Cupcakes are sure to be a family favorite you can look forward to making each year. Just keep in mind:
- Keep the oven door closed while the cupcakes are baking. Otherwise, the batter will fall, and you will have a dent in the middle of your cakes. Check to see if your cupcakes are done baking after 20 minutes.
- To prevent the cupcake from sticking, spray your baking cups before filling them with batter.
- Let the cake cool completely before decorating so that the icing doesn’t melt.
- All-Purpose Flour – You can make this recipe with a gluten-free flour in a 1:1 ratio.
- Powdered & Granulated Sugar – Use coconut sugar.
- Non-Dairy Milk – Use soy, almond, or cashew milk.
- Applesauce – This is the recipe “binder” and a vegan egg alternative. You can also use equal amounts of non-dairy yogurt.
More Yummy Festive Recipes You’ll Enjoy
If you like this delicious Melting Snowmen Cupcakes recipe, you’ll want to try some of our other easy holiday treats! Try any from the list below.
Maria Puck’s Holiday Spice Gingerbread Cookies
Holiday Apple Pie with Dried Fruit Caramel Sauce
Triple Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
Chocolate Ganache Tart
Starbuck’s Double Shot Espresso Mocha Cupcakes