Learn How To Make Homemade Pasta with minimal skill required and pantry-staple ingredients! Homemade pasta offers delicious texture and flavor to any pasta recipe for lunch or dinner.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT MAKING HOMEMADE PASTA
While making your own pasta isn’t as convenient as dumping store-bought pasta into a pot of salted water, there are many advantages and benefits to making homemade pasta.
Homemade pasta, in my opinion, always tastes better than store-bought pasta, and it has a great texture too. You also get to adapt your homemade pasta by incorporating various seasonings into the dough and even herbs! The process of making homemade pasta is fun and rewarding, and certainly a skill you can learn easily and show off to your friends and family.
WHAT KIND OF KITCHEN EQUIPMENT DO I NEED TO MAKE HOMEMADE PASTA?
I’ve used a KitchenAid Mixer (with a dough hook) to make the pasta dough for this recipe. I then swap out the dough hook for the pasta roller attachment.
WHY DO I NEED TO ALLOW THE PASTA DOUGH TO REST?
Allowing pasta dough to rest is important because it allows the gluten time to relax and the moisture to distribute evenly throughout the dough, making it easier to roll out and shape.
Resting also helps to prevent the dough from shrinking back during the cooking process, ensuring a smoother and more consistent final product. The recommended time for resting varies based on the recipe, but it’s typically 15 minutes to an hour.
HOW SHOULD I COOK HOMEMADE PASTA?
To cook homemade pasta, follow these steps:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and occasionally stir to prevent it from sticking together.
- Cook the pasta until al dente, which is usually between 2-5 minutes, depending on the thickness and shape of the pasta.
- Drain the pasta and toss it with your desired sauce or toppings.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your homemade pasta dish!
Note: Some shapes of pasta may require a slightly different cooking time, so be sure to consult your recipe for specific instructions.
CAN I MAKE HOMEMADE PASTA WITHOUT A PASTA MACHINE?
Yes, you can! If you don’t own a pasta machine, follow these steps to make your pasta:
- In a bowl, combine the flour and salt and form a well in the center.
- Crack the eggs into the well and use a fork to beat the eggs until combined.
- Slowly start incorporating the flour into the eggs, using your fingers or a fork, until a dough texture forms. Add the oil and water.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Cut the dough into 4 equal pieces and, working with one piece at a time, roll the dough out into thin sheets using a rolling pin.
- Once you’ve achieved the desired thickness, you can cut the pasta sheets into desired shapes (e.g. fettuccine, spaghetti, lasagna).
- Dust the pasta with a bit of flour to prevent sticking, and cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente (2-5 minutes).
- Drain the pasta and toss with your desired sauce or toppings.
Note: Rolling the dough out by hand will require more effort and time, but it can be a fun and rewarding experience.
HOW LONG WILL HOMEMADE PASTA LAST FOR?
Fresh pasta can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
TIPS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE PASTA
- Use the best ingredients, such as all-purpose flour and eggs. The quality of your ingredients will directly impact the taste and texture of your pasta.
- Kneading the dough for at least 5 minutes will help develop the gluten and make the pasta more elastic and less likely to break.
- Fresh pasta cooks much faster than dried pasta, so it’s important to cook it as soon as you cut it.
- To prevent the pasta from sticking together, use a large pot of salted boiling water. The salt also adds flavor to the pasta.
More Yummy Recipes You’ll Love!
- Homemade Three Cheese Ravioli Recipe
- Homemade Hamburger Helper
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Meatloaf and Potatoes
- Air Fryer Pear Tarts
- Air Fryer Roasted Tomatoes
Impress your friends and family by whipping up a batch of homemade pasta from scratch!