Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Any sweet potato fan will flip for these Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes. That’s right, the restaurant treat, Twice Baked Potatoes, has taken a turn for the better ( in my humble opinion)!
Traditionally, no holiday celebration would be complete without sweet potatoes. Whether mashed or in a casserole you can expect to find them on the table. And now, sweet potatoes have become an anytime, dinner-time staple.
Want to impress your dinner guests? These Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes will make them think you worked hard in the kitchen, when in reality, you can serve them up in an hour with very little effort at all. The recipe is simple, and your kitchen will smell amazing when your guests arrive.
What are Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes?
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are sweet potatoes baked in the oven, removed, seasoned, and placed back in the oven to bake a second time before serving. People love these colorful root vegetables for their starchy sweetness but as a bonus, they’re full of antioxidants. Sweet potatoes are versatile and readily available all year round.
Sweet potatoes have become a popular choice for side dishes in many homes and restaurants alike. After all, traditional potatoes and sweet potatoes are basically equal in nutritional value and calories, but sweet potatoes boast an almost candy-like flavor and offer a beautiful presentation. Sweet potatoes also pair well with almost any meat.
How Do I Store Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes?
After dinner, if for some reason you have any of these sweet potatoes left over, simply let them cool completely, place them in an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator. They should last for up to 5 days.
To reheat, cover them with foil to keep the marshmallows from over-browning and warm them at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Reheating using your microwave works well too.
Can I Freeze Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes?
To freeze for later, don’t put the topping on the potatoes. Just skip the last step for now. When your ready to use them, let the sweet potatoes thaw to room temperature, top with the chopped pecans and marshmallows, and finish baking in a 400 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes.
Can I Make a Variation of Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes?
Absolutely! For an easy, all-in-one dinner, try topping the baked sweet potatoes with chili made from beef, turkey, or a vegetarian option. Omit the nuts and marshmallows. Dinner is served. Want to keep the fall theme? Try this pumpkin chili on top!
Tips for Making Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- One of the most convenient things about this recipe is that the ingredients can be modified to suit the number of servings you require. Simply halve, double, or triple, as needed.
- Choose potatoes that are longer and symmetrical in size for the best, most even cooking. These also offer the best presentation when stuffing them. Cooking time may vary with larger potatoes.
- Wash your potatoes well with your hands or with a vegetable brush to get all the grit out of any nooks and crannies. Dry them with a paper towel. You don’t want any drops of water left on the skin since this can make your potatoes soggy.
Sweet Potato Pie Bars
Pumpkin Sweet Potato Tarts
Baked Potato Slices
- Make sure your potatoes aren’t touching on the baking tray. You’ll want every inch to crisp up equally!
- Use mini marshmallows instead of regular size. They melt quickly and can be equally spread out so that no one misses out on the yummy, marshmallow toasty goodness.
- If the marshmallows are browning up too quickly, loosely cover the pan with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Marshmallows and pecans – Try substituting salt and pepper, sour cream, and chives instead for something less thanksgiving-themed. You can also Try blue cheese, walnuts and a drizzle of honey.
- Half and half or milk with a touch of melted butter will work in place of heavy cream.
More Yummy Side Dish Recipes You’ll Enjoy
If you like this delicious side dish recipe, you’ll want to try some of our other easy sides! Try any from the list below.
Instant Pot Squash Casserole
Instant Pot Butter Potatoes
Oven Roasted Vegetables
Roasted Potatoes and Zucchini
Potatoes Au Gratin
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
The sweetest, yummiest, easiest autumn side dish, Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are full of flavor and are topped with mini marshmallows and crunchy pecans. The sweet and creamy potato filling will have you excited from the first delicious bite to the very last.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1⁄2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a fork, poke multiple holes in each sweet potato. Brush each potato with oil, making sure to spread evenly on all sides. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the skin starts to feel dry and wrinkly and the potato flesh can be easily pierced with a fork.
- Carefully remove the potatoes from the oven and slice open lengthwise. Scoop out the potato flesh into a medium-sized bowl, and set the potato skins aside, but don't throw them away. Be gentle! Try not to damage the skins. Leave enough potato flesh inside the skins to keep their shape.
- Add brown sugar, butter, heavy cream, and spices to the bowl and blend to create the potato filling.
- Evenly scoop the filling back into the potato skins. Top with chopped pecans and finish by garnishing each potato with mini marshmallows. Place back into the oven and bake for approximately 15 minutes uncovered until the marshmallows begin to brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!