Pumpkin – Sweet Potato Tarts With Nutmeg Whipped Cream
As you all know, I have the biggest weakness for desserts. Now, I’ve heard the idea toyed around with mixing sweet potatoes and pumpkins together…so I decided to do just that. Though, I don’t like cool whip as a traditional topping. I like making my whipped cream, but I like to spicen up my whipped cream to enhance the flavors of what I’m eating. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE traditional home made whipped cream…but this just called for a something with a little bit more oomph. So…I used nutmeg! I can’t say that I was disappointed by at all…because I wasn’t, and I I’m sure you won’t be either! Enjoy.
To get started with, you’re going to need a pie shell crust. Yes, you can absolutely use store bought pie crust. I just prefer in making my own. To find my recipe for my crust, please be sure to visit this other amazing recipe: Mini Apple Dumpling Recipe. After you make the crust recipe, then you may follow onto the recipe for the tart!
Pumpkin - Sweet Potato Tarts With Nutmeg Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh pumpkin puree (you may use canned, if you wish)
- 1 1/2 cups of mashed sweet potato (I don't recommend using caned, but you can)
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin spice
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Form the dough into your pastry shells and bake for approximately 8-10 minutes (or until lightly brown).
- Allow to cool while mixing your ingredients for the filling.
- In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin and sweet potato together and mix until well blended.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix on low speed to mix well. But don't over mix.
- Spoon mixture into cooled tarts and place back in the oven for approximately 12 - 14 minutes (different altitudes will require different cooking times).
- Once done, allow to cool.
- Before serving, take tarts of their molds and add whipped cream on top. My whipped cream recipe is below!
Nutmeg Whipped Cream Recipe:
- 1 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon of Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients.
- You may use a hand mixer or a whisk (I prefer a whisk, takes longer but filled with more love!)
- Whip your mixture until you get super thick peaks. NOT light small ones. I mean big.
For the whipped cream, I actually put mine into a pastry bag with a big tip to add a more decorative touch. If you’re not worried about all the foo-foo stuff, then just spoon this delicious whipped cream on top. The more the better! I can’t wait to cook up some more stuff with you!