Slow Cooker Country Potatoes are everything you want in life: creamy, rich, and savory goodness. This heavenly side dish features potatoes with onions, bell peppers, and best of all — butter. We know butter makes everything better!
What are Country Potatoes?
Country Potatoes are a side dish of cooked potatoes that have been boiled, fried, or prepared in the slow cooker. Once cooked, the potatoes combine with butter and seasoning to be added to other recipes, such as a hash or enjoyed on their own.
How Do I Store Country Potatoes?
You can store leftover County Potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. Allow to cool and come to room temperature first before storing. If not, the temperature of the food will continue cooking the potatoes, and moisture will be locked in the container.
Can I Freeze Country Potatoes?
I would not suggest freezing Country Potatoes because the potato texture may turn soggy, watery, or even grainy. But, if you do decide to freeze Country Potatoes, place them in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before you reheat.
Can I Prep Country Potatoes in Advance?
Yes. The best way to keep cut potatoes from turning brown is to cover them in a water-filled bowl. Store the submerged potatoes in a bowl in the fridge up to one day in advance.
Tips for Making Country Potatoes
- You can use frozen potato wedges to make Country Potatoes in the Slow Cooker.
- Consider topping County Potatoes with green onions, sour cream, cheese, or bacon.
- Add extra flavor to Country Potatoes by seasoning them with thyme, oregano, or a splash of lemon juice.
Before making these Slow Cooker Country Potatoes, Consider these suggestions:
- If you cut your potatoes into smaller pieces, remember that cooking will take less time. Adjust the slow cooker time accordingly.
- Preheat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat to make Country Potatoes without a Slow Cooker. Add the oil to the hot skillet and sauté the onions and peppers first. Remove before adding the potatoes to the pan. Spread them into a single layer. Cook until the potatoes are golden brown on one side without stirring or turning. Repeat on the other side. When potatoes are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside, add the peppers and onions back into the skillet. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- You can also prepare Country Potatoes with other potato varieties, such as red, yellow, or russet potatoes.
- Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute – If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s nearby, you can re-create this signature spice blend with equal parts onion powder, black + cayenne pepper, dried celery seed, parsley, basil, marjoram, bay leaf, oregano, thyme, savory, rosemary, cumin, dry mustard, ground coriander seed, garlic powder and dried lemon peel.
- Salted Butter – If you don’t have salted butter on hand, you can use unsalted butter with Country Potatoes. Just be sure to add more salt to the potatoes.
- Bell Peppers – Cubanelles are a great alternative to cooked peppers. They are less sweet than red bell peppers and less earthy tasting than green bell peppers.
More Yummy Side Dishes You’ll Enjoy
If you like this Slow Cooker Country Potatoes recipe, you’ll want to try some of our other easy side dishes! Try any from the list below.