These skillet chicken fajitas are a fast and delicious meal to make any day of the week!
Chicken sauteed with caramelized vegetables and spices! I’m talking about savory onions, red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, orange bell peppers, and a dash of green with poblano peppers! I’m talking about the flavorful skillet chicken fajitas, served with warm tortillas and topped with everything nice!
If you’ve ever had a chicken fajita pizza and like eating tacos, you’ll love this skillet chicken fajitas recipe! It’s quick, easy, and a great option for days when you want to have something nice and tasty but don’t want to spend too many hours in the kitchen.
Any dish that involves chicken and caramelized veggies is an instant crowd-pleaser. And if it takes under 30 minutes to cook, it’s like a cherry on top! This skillet chicken fajita recipe is a simple mix-and-cook recipe that you can prepare quickly, load into flour tortilla wraps, and top with your favorite items, like cheese, sour cream, easy to make homemade salsa, or a chunky avocado salsa, my favorite.
But that’s just one way to devour this palatable dish! If you don’t want to eat it with tortillas, you can serve it with rice or salad or just serve it on its own. That’s how versatile fajitas are!
Therefore, whether you want to whip up a quick yet fancy meal, are looking for lunchbox ideas for school-going kids, or want to fix a quick afternoon snack or something to take to a potluck supper, this skillet chicken fajitas recipe is a perfect choice!
And then, who doesn’t love seasoned chicken cooked with delicious and vibrant caramelized vegetables, wrapped in a flaky tortilla, and topped with creamy cheesy goodness? I do, for one!
Here’s everything you need to make these mouth-watering skillet chicken fajitas tacos:
- 3 chicken breasts: Use boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips. You can, however, use any other chicken cut as well.
- 1 yellow onion: I used a yellow onion, but you can also use white or red onions.
- 1 red, yellow, and orange bell pepper: I used one of each red, yellow, and orange bell pepper because they taste sweeter than green peppers. But you can use green peppers too!
- 1 Poblano pepper: To add a dash of mild spice and enhance the flavor of our skillet chicken fajitas.
- 1 tsp chili powder: We’ll throw in some chili powder to give this tex-mex dish a kick!
- 1 tsp smoked paprika: Smoked paprika is best for Mexican dishes to add a distinct chargrilled flavor to the dish.
- 1 tsp cumin, granulated garlic, and salt: The combination of cumin, garlic, and salt with paprika is the perfect seasoning blend for skillet chicken fajitas.
- 2 tbsp olive oil (optional): To cook the chicken and saute the vegetables in!
- Flour tortillas: I used flour tortillas; however, you can also use corn tortillas, nopal tortillas, beetroot tortillas, and even hoja santa tortillas.
Here are some common queries that I have answered for your ease and convenience in making the skillet chicken fajitas:
We need boneless chicken for this recipe; therefore, you can use chicken thighs, breasts, or any other part, as long as you can cut it into strips.
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can make the skillet chicken fajitas in an enameled cast iron or stainless skillet.
Q. How to store leftover chicken fajitas recipe?
Store the leftover skillet chicken fajitas in an airtight container and place them in the fridge for up to 5 days. In the freezer place them in a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
You can reheat the skillet chicken fajitas in the microwave or stovetop. Put it in a skillet and cook on medium heat until it is warmed through. And, in the microwave, just give it a round for about a minute or two.
1. Use beef if you’re not in the mood for chicken. And if you’re vegan, use mushrooms or tofu in place of meat.
2. If you’re a true Mexican food lover, add a dash of cayenne pepper, and fresh jalapenos to the fajita mix.
3. You can place the filling, toppings, and tortillas separately to make a taco station.
More Delicious Chicken Recipes to Enjoy
- Copycat Panda Express Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Subs
- Matzo Ball Soup
- Creamy Tuscan Chicken Recipe
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie