Mini Caprese Appetizers are inspired by the classic Italian Caprese salad, boasting the delicious and familiar flavors of juicy tomato, creamy mozzarella cheese, basil, and balsamic reduction.
These mini Caprese appetizers are assembled in hollowed yellow grape tomatoes which are filled with basil-wrapped mozzarella, and drizzled with sweet and tangy homemade balsamic reduction.
Enjoy these cute mini Caprese appetizers alongside other snacks and finger foods for upcoming parties.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT MINI CAPRESE APPETIZERS
Mini Caprese appetizers typically consist of layers of cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves that are skewered on toothpicks or mini skewers and then drizzled with balsamic glaze.
In this recipe, I’ve modified this appetizer by using yellow grape tomatoes as a base for holding rectangular cuts of fresh mozzarella cheese wrapped in thin slices of fresh basil leaves. The appetizers are then drizzled with a homemade reduction of sugar and balsamic vinegar – yummy!!
WHAT PAIRS WELL WITH THESE MINI CAPRESE APPETIZERS?
Serve these mini caprese appetizers on a platter or charcuterie board alongside Italian meats (salami, prosciutto, and coppa), crostini, olives, and dip with crackers and serve with your favorite wine!
CAN I STORE MINI CAPRESE APPETIZERS?
Yes, you can store these caprese appetizers in an airtight container in the fridge, but I recommend only storing them for a day at most for the best flavor and texture.
Don’t freeze these mini caprese appetizers – they won’t hold up well, and the texture will be significantly affected.
WHAT VARIATIONS CAN I MAKE TO THESE MINI CAPRESE APPETIZERS?
- Instead of using grape or cherry tomatoes, consider assembling these mini caprese appetizers with hollowed strawberries.
- Make mini caprese skewer appetizers by loading sliced tomato with cubed mozzarella and skewered basil, with balsamic glaze drizzled over. Other fruit, such as watermelon, could also be added to the skewer for a sweet and salty flavor combination.
- Add pesto sauce over these mini caprese appetizers for a delicious herby flavor.
- Use red grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes instead of yellow grape tomatoes.
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE THE BASIL FOR THESE APPETIZERS?
Wash the basil leaves and pat dry with a paper towel. Remove the stems of the basil leaves (these are bitter and woody), and cut the basil leaves with a sharp knife into thin slices, cutting the leaves vertically along the sides of the stems.
TIPS FOR MAKING MINI CAPRESE APPETIZERS
- These appetizers are made with minimal ingredients. It’s important that these ingredients are fresh and high-quality for the best flavor and texture.
- Try to use uniform-sized grape tomatoes and slice and cut the mozzarella cheese and basil leaves uniformly. This will make your appetizers look neat and eye-catching.
- Add some variety to the appetizers by using a mixture of red and yellow tomatoes.
- Place toothpicks alongside these mini caprese appetizers in case your guests don’t want to use their fingers.
- Serve these mini caprese appetizers at room temperature. They are best enjoyed immediately after assembling.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt over these cheese filled appetizers if you like. Personally, I think the balsamic reduction offers enough sweetness and saltiness.
More Delicious Appetizers to Enjoy
- Easy Instant Pot Pizza Dip
- Best Ever Hummus Recipe
- Delicious Puff Pastry Tomato Tarts
- Whipped Feta Dip
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Tomato Tarts
- 1 carton of organic yellow grape tomatoes
- 7 - 8 large sized fresh basil leaves
- 1 block of organic mozzarella cheese
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Organic Sugar