There is something so comforting and nostalgic about homemade Instant Pot apple butter! This Instant Pot Apple Butter is easy and takes about 35 minutes to prepare!
What is Apple Butter?
Apple butter is a highly concentrated form of apple sauce. It is made by slowly cooking apples with cider or water until the sugars start caramelizing.
How Do I Store Apple Butter?
You can store this apple butter recipe in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. If you keep it in a glass container, add a splash of lemon juice to the recipe for preservation purposes.
Can I Freeze Apple Butter?
You can store Apple Butter in the freezer for up to 1 year. Then, once you are ready to serve again, defrost the Apple Butter in the fridge before using it.
What Apples are Best for Apple Butter?
Softer apples, such as Fuji, Golden Delicious, and McIntosh, are best for apple butter since they cook down faster. I used a mix of Fuji and Honeycrisp apples for this recipe. I LOVE Honeycrisp apples. They are the perfect balance of sour and sweet.
Tips for Making Apple Butter
- The hardest part of this recipe is peeling and chopping up the apples. You can use a fancy apple peeler and coring tool, an old-fashioned veggie peeler, or a knife.
- Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the apples.
- Allow the apple butter to cool to room temperature and use immediately or store it in an airtight container.
I know you’ll love APPLE BUTTER just as much as my family! But be sure to keep a few things in mind:
- There are so many ways to enjoy this recipe. Use Apple Butter as a spread on toast or add it to other desserts like this Instant Pot Apple Cheesecake.
- If you want to make Apple Butter on the stovetop, add the cider or water to the apples, sugar, and spices. Cook uncovered over medium to low heat for an hour, stirring occasionally. Then, use an immersion blender or a food processor to pureé the apples. Return to the stove and continue to cook until the mixture turns a deep brown (about 1 hour).
- While some Apple Butter recipes are safe for canning, this is a fridge and freezer recipe. For your family’s safety, follow these recommended storage instructions.
- Apple Pie Spice– If you are in a hurry, skip the cinnamon and nutmeg, and add 2 Tablespoons of Apple Pie Spice to make this Apple Butter Recipe.
- All Spice– If you don’t have nutmeg, you can use All Spice as a 1:1 substitute.
- Ginger– If you want to give this recipe a little “kick,” start with ¼ tsp of ground ginger and adjust to your taste.
More Yummy Fruit-Inspired Recipes You’ll Enjoy
If you like this delicious Apple Butter, you’ll want to try some of our other fruity recipes! Try any from the list below.
Cast Iron Skillet Pear Tart Recipe
Pumpkin – Sweet Potato Tarts With Nutmeg Whipped Cream Recipe
Instant Pot Cherry Cobbler
Air Fryer Pear Tarts
Blueberry Lemon Cake
- 5 lbs Apples peeled, cored, and cut into 6-8 pieces
- 1 cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup apple cider or water
- Prepare your apples by peeling, coring, and slicing each apple into 6-8 pieces. Transfer the apples to the insert of your Instant Pot.
- Add the brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and apple cider into the pot and toss your apples until they are fulling coated.
- Turn the valve on the Instant Pot lid to sealing and set on high manual pressure for 15 minute and allow to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Release any remaining pressure after 10 minutes and remove the apple butter to a container to cool completely.
- Use immediately, Store in jars to can, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.