Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is loaded with healthy canned pumpkin and traditional warm spices of the fall season. This delicious and easy sheet cake is topped with a smooth vanilla cream cheese frosting and adorable fondant pumpkins!
While sweet treats like this pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting are particularly popular during fall, it’s great to know that the ingredients are pantry staples and available throughout the year, making this a dessert worth trying no matter the season!
This pumpkin cake is moist and rich with warm flavors, pairing beautifully with the sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting! Enjoy a slice of this pumpkin cake with a hot mug of coffee as a bit of afternoon decadence or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert.
Why We Love Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe?
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese is moist and flavorful, made with simple pantry-staple ingredients, and offers the perfect treat this fall!
The adorable fondant pumpkins add visual creativity to this delicious cake – great for showing off at parties and other events this pumpkin season. Grab some from your local baking store or make some at home and get the kids to help you!
This cake can easily be adapted by experimenting with the spices, adding chopped nuts to the top of the cake, or making the cake gluten-free by opting for a gluten-free brand of flour.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
Here’s a list of everything you need to make this pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting:
- All-purpose flour: Gluten-free flour like Bob’s Red Mill can be used instead.
- Baking powder and soda: Check the expiry date to ensure a good cake rise.
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Canned pumpkin: Not pumpkin pie filling!
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Eggs: Large eggs that are brought to room temperature
- Sugar: Granulated white sugar is best
- Cream cheese frosting: Combine softened butter and cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Optional: Decorate the cake with cute fondant pumpkins. You can also scatter some chopped pecans and walnuts over the frosting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common queries to help you with the recipe:
Q. Can I use fresh pumpkin instead of canned pumpkin puree?
Canned pumpkin offers convenience but you can make your own pumpkin puree from scratch for this cake by roasting pumpkin and then blending it. Don’t use canned pumpkin pie filling as this is a different product.
Q. How do I store a pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting?
This pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. Bring the slices of leftover cake to room temperature before serving for maximum flavor.
Q. Can I make this cake in advance?
Absolutely! This cake can be baked a day in advance and stored in the fridge. I suggest only frosting the cake just before serving. The cream cheese frosting can also be made in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Q. What’s the difference between pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie filling?
Pumpkin puree is pain-blended pumpkin while pumpkin pie filling is thinner and contains additional ingredients such as sugar and spices.
Q. Can I make this cake gluten-free?
Absolutely! Use a gluten-free brand of flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill. For those with celiac disease, it’s best to also check the ingredients listed in products such as baking powder and baking soda.
Tips and Tricks
- Ingredients such as butter, eggs, and cream cheese should be brought to room temperature for even mixing, smoother batter, and smoother frosting.
- You can eliminate lumps in your cake by sifting the dry ingredients (flour and spices) before mixing them with the wet ingredients.
- Allow the freshly baked cake to cool completely before frosting it.
- For the best frosting texture, make sure that the butter and cream cheese are softened, but not melted.
More Scrumptious Cakes To Bake
- Pumpkin Lava Cake
- Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe
- Starbucks Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Instant Pot Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Lemon Ginger Bundt Cake
Pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting is a timeless classic that never gets old! Add it to your pumpkin season baking and hear the compliments start to roll in!