Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Rice is a simple and fast side dish that goes with just about any meal.
This pressure cooker rice recipe is similar to risotto. It’s creamy and cheesy and oh so delicious. I love that I can make this dish to go with just about any meal if I need to add a starch that I know Angela will eat without complaining…and she definitely loves broccoli, so it’s a total win-win for me.
I like to make this simple side dish on nights that I have to work because it’s quick and doesn’t take a lot of effort on my part. The Instant Pot does all the work so that I can focus on getting dressed and out of the door on time for work.
Frequently Asked Questions About Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Rice
What kind of rice should I use?
Long grain rice works best for this recipe. I don’t recommend trying to make this recipe with quick cooking rice like Minute or boil in the bag rice. You can use brown rice; however, you will need to adjust the cooking time and liquid amounts that are recommended for the brown rice in your pressure cooker.
Can I use a different type of cheese?
Certainly! I’ve used cheddar cheese, and Mexican blend cheese in this dish. My family prefers the Monterey jack because it melts so well. But, sometimes I just use whatever I have on hand because I don’t want to make an extra trip to the store. That’s the best thing about this Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli rice, it’s flexible.
How do I store and reheat leftover Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Rice?
Always store your leftover broccoli rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheating leftover rice works best in the microwave or on the stove top. Add about a teaspoon of water to your leftover rice to bring back the creamy texture of your leftover rice when you reheat.
Can I add Chicken or other Protein to this Instant Pot Rice recipe?
Yes! Angela loves chicken and rice. When the rice is finished cooking in the Instant Pot if I want to add chicken, I add leftover rotisserie chicken that I’ve pulled off the bone, or a poached chicken breast that I’ve shredded to the rice. Simply stir in the chicken into your warm rice and then you have a full meal in no time at all.
You can also add shrimp or beef to this recipe. You can’t cook them at the same time as the rice because the shrimp would overcook and the beef might produce too much grease to the finished product.
Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Rice Recipe
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 12-ounce package frozen broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
How To Make
- Rinse rice thoroughly until water runs clear.
- Add rice to a bowl of Instant Pot. Top with chicken broth and milk.
- Season with salt, garlic powder, pepper, and paprika.
- Add butter and frozen broccoli. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the vent. Set to cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When the cook time is up, do a natural release for 10 minutes, then manually release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid from the pot and add the cheese. Stir to combine.
- Rinse rice with water to remove excess starch.
- Make sure you allow your pressure cooker to naturally release pressure for at least 10 minutes.
- Stir your cheese in while your rice is still hot so that it melts quickly.
Butter and Rice Go Hand in Hand
There’s nothing better then having butter and rice in a recipe, even though I know it’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to add butter into this rice recipe, you don’t have to! I add the butter to help add an extra layer of flavor and creaminess.
Frozen Broccoli Helps to save Me Time
I know not everyone likes to use frozen vegetables, but I love using them. Why? Because they’re such a great time saver! Yes, you can definitely use Fresh Broccoli without any issues. With fresh broccoli, you have to wash & trim broccoli stalks.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Looking for more Easy Instant Pot recipes to make for your family to enjoy? Start with these! From easy Instant pot chicken recipes, to a yummy Instant Pot dessert – I’ve got you all covered! Take a look at some fan favorites below!
- How to make Instant Pot Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Hot Cross Buns
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Parmigiana
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Instant Pot Monkey Bread
- Instant Pot Hamburger Helper
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken