This Four Cheese Tomato Bites Recipe consists of juicy cherry tomatoes topped with mixed Quattro Formaggi (a mixture of four kinds of cheese), minced basil, and grated Parmesan cheese.
These tomato bites are baked until the cheese is melted and slightly browned. Serve these delicious bite-sized appetizers on a charcuterie board for cocktail parties or other special occasions!
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS FOUR CHEESE TOMATO BITES RECIPE
This adorable appetizer is called “four” cheese tomato bites because it incorporates Quattro Formaggi, which means “four cheeses” in Italian.
While the specific combination of cheeses in this mix can vary depending on the region or recipe, it typically includes the combination of Gorgonzola, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Asiago, and Mozzarella.
In addition to the Quattro Formaggi, I’ve also used crumbled Parmesan for these tomato bites. Depending on the cheese mix, this little appetizer could be a “five” cheese tomato bites recipe!
HOW CAN I STORE THESE YUMMY TOMATO BITES APPETIZER?
Yes, you can store these four cheese tomato bites in an airtight container in the fridge, but I recommend only storing them for a day at most for the best flavor and texture. Leftover tomato bites can be reheated in the oven.
Don’t freeze these tomato bites – they won’t hold up well, and the texture will be significantly affected.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH FOUR CHEESE TOMATO BITES?
Serve these delectable cheesy appetizers on a platter or charcuterie board alongside my Mini Caprese Appetizers, an assortment of Italian meats (salami, prosciutto, and coppa), crostini, olives, and dip with crackers and serve with your favorite wine!
HOW CAN I VARY THESE FOUR CHEESE TOMATO BITES?
- Use a mixture of red and yellow heirloom cherry tomatoes, or stick to one color.
- Drizzle some balsamic reduction over these baked tomato bites for a sweet and tangy flavor or fresh and herby pesto sauce.
- Sprinkle some panko breadcrumbs over these assembled tomato bites just before baking for a delicious crunchy texture.
- Use other herbs in the cheesy filling, such as dill.
- I’ve sliced the cherry tomatoes in half, but you could hollow out the tomatoes instead.
CAN I MAKE DAIRY-FREE TOMATO BITES?
Yes, you can! To make these appetizers dairy-free, source a dairy-free or vegan cheese mixture that could substitute the store-bought Quattro Formaggi. You can also use a dairy-free cheese topping instead of using Parmesan cheese.
TIPS FOR MAKING FOUR CHEESE TOMATO BITES RECIPE
- These tomato bites are made with minimal ingredients. It’s important that these ingredients are fresh and high-quality for the best flavor and texture.
- Use uniform-sized cherry tomatoes to make your appetizers look neat and eye-catching.
- Place toothpicks alongside these four cheese tomato bites if your guests don’t want to use their fingers.
- Serve these four cheese tomato bites warm from the oven for the best flavor and melted cheese texture!
- You only need to bake these tomato bites for 8-10 minutes. Be careful not to overbake these small appetizers as they can easily be overcooked and then you’ll need to start again.