The holiday season and instant pot green bean casserole go side by side, because, truth be known, a warm cheesy dish of casserole is what we crave in the cold winter months!
The holiday season and green bean casserole go side by side, because, truth be known, a warm cheesy dish of casserole is what we crave in the cold winter months!
But, do you know what makes this recipe an instant hit? The fact that we are going to make it in an instant pot! Just place all the ingredients in the instant pot and let it cook. For a finishing touch, place the green bean casserole in a baking dish for the cheese to melt into delicious gooeyness.
The best part? You can make this recipe any day, any time of the year!
Why We Love Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole?
This instant pot green bean casserole recipe uses green beans, cream of mushroom soup, cheese, and french fried onions, making it relatively healthier than the traditional casserole recipe. Also, when you make this all-time-favorite dish in an instant pot, it takes half the time as it would than the classic baked recipe.
So, that’s healthy, quick, and scrumptious, all at the same time!
Green beans are rich in vitamin K and calcium, while the lip-smackingly savory cream of mushroom soup gives the casserole a rich creamy texture, for which it is famous.
Now, let’s talk about the french friend onions that serve as the perfect topping for the instant pot green bean casserole. The sweet onions, coated in milk and flour, when combined with the sharp cheddar cheese, make this casserole the perfect comfort food.
We all know how cheese makes everything much tastier, right? Imagine having a spoonful of green bean casserole, dripping with creamy mushroom soup, and topped with sweet french fried onions smothered in cheese. What a tempting combo!
And, that’s why we love the instant pot green bean casserole recipe!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- 4-5 cups of fresh green beans: Remove the stems of the green beans. If you don’t have fresh green beans, you can use frozen or canned ones also.
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup: My recommendation would be to use homemade cream of mushroom soup; however, canned would do too.
- 2-3 garlic cloves: Chop the garlic finely for more flavor.
- 1/3 cup water: If you’re using canned green beans, you can use the liquid from that too.
- 1/3 cup 4C seasoned panko breadcrumbs: Breadcrumbs provide a crunchy topping to the casserole.
- 2 cups French fried onions: For a crispy, crunchy topping with a sweet and savory taste.
- 1 tbsp flour and 1-2 tsp water: To make a slurry to thicken the consistency of the casserole.
- 1 tsp olive oil: You can also use any other oil.
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese: To make the casserole deliciously cheesy.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re trying out the instant pot green bean casserole recipe for the first time, here are some common queries to make the process easier for you:
Q. How should I take the instant pot green bean casserole somewhere?
If you are taking the instant pot green bean casserole to a gathering, place it in a baking dish or Tupperware container. Make sure to carry the fried onions separately, and add them just before serving, so that they remain crispy.
Q. Can I make this recipe in the oven?
Yes, you can make this recipe in the oven also; however, it might take some extra time compared to an instant pot.
Q. Can I make green bean casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare this dish ahead of time, just don’t add the French fried onions, as they tend to get soggy. Add them right before serving.
Q. How to store the green bean casserole?
Cover the casserole dish tightly and place it in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Q. Can I use canned green beans for this recipe?
If you’re using canned green beans, you will have to alter the recipe a bit. As canned green beans are already cooked, you will have to skip the high-pressure cooking step.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some useful tips and tricks:
1. If you’re using canned green beans, skip the pressure cooking part and keep the instant pot on saute mode.
2. You can also use cream of celery soup if you don’t like mushrooms.
3. For more flavor, use chicken or vegetable broth or green bean water in place of water.
4. Always add the French fried onions just before serving to avoid them getting soggy.
More Delicious Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Butter Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Pie Bars
- Blueberry Lemon Cake
- Easy to Make Instant Pot Blueberry Compote
- Instant Pot Sausage and Peppers
- Olive Garden Copycat Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Moroccan Stew