Pumpkin Scones Recipe is the perfect treat to enjoy at breakfast or as a delicious snack alongside your favorite hot beverage.
The pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice instantly transform plain scones into fall-inspired treats that I’ve also topped with sweet butterscotch buttercream for added decadence!
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS PUMPKIN SCONES RECIPE
Pumpkin scones offer a delicious twist to the traditional plain scones with the addition of pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice – the perfect fall-inspired treat!
This pumpkin scone recipe doesn’t include butter. Instead, the dough gets its moisture from heavy cream and the pumpkin puree.
HOW SHOULD I STORE PUMPKIN SCONES?
These pumpkin scones can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. Like most baked treats, these scones will start to lose moisture and turn stale the longer that they are stored.
CAN I FREEZE THESE PUMPKIN SCONES?
Yes, you can. These pumpkin scones can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. I recommend wrapping them in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and then transferring them to an airtight container or Ziploc bag, which will help to prevent the scones from drying out in the freezer.
Thaw the frozen scones at room temperature and reheat them slightly in the oven or a toaster oven.
HOW SHOULD I SERVE THESE PUMPKIN SCONES?
These scrumptious pumpkin scones can be served with cream and jam, butter and honey, cream cheese frosting, or whipped cream.
You can also enjoy these fluffy scones alongside your favorite hot beverage, such as coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or a warm spiced cider!
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PUMPKIN PUREE AND PUMPKIN PIE FILLING?
Pumpkin puree is real pumpkin without adding other ingredients, whereas pumpkin pie filling includes spices and sugar.
I don’t recommend using pumpkin pie filling for these scones instead of pumpkin puree, as this will alter the texture and flavor of these scones.
You can use canned pumpkin puree for convenience or make your own from scratch from roasted pumpkin.
WHAT VARIATIONS CAN I MAKE TO THESE PUMPKIN SCONES?
- Include add-ins to the scone batter, such as chopped nuts, dried fruit, or chocolate chips.
- Consider experimenting with other spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cardamom.
- I’ve added a butterscotch buttercream to these scones. You could drizzle a simple sugar glaze over the scones instead once they have cooled slightly, or add a sweet and tangy cream cheese glaze.
- Make savory pumpkin scones by omitting the sugar and pumpkin spice. Instead, add chopped herbs like rosemary or thyme, add grated cheddar cheese or bacon bits, and include salt and pepper.
TIPS FOR MAKING PUMPKIN SCONES
- Use cold ingredients, such as cold cream and pumpkin puree to make these scones light and flaky.
- Don’t overwork the dough or you could end up with tough and dense scones.
- Gently roll the dough to prevent it from being pressed too hard. The scone wedges are best cut by a pastry cutter, but you could also use a sharp knife.
- I haven’t chilled the scone dough before shaping and baking but you could do so which will further assist the scones in keeping their shape and achieving a good rise in the oven.
- If you don’t want to add buttercream frosting to these scones, consider brushing the dough with cream just before baking. This will add a lovely golden brown top to the plain pumpkin scones.
- Avoid overbaking these scones or they will become dry and tough.
- Allow the freshly baked scones to cool slightly before adding the buttercream frosting.
As you can tell by the following images, Angela was my little helper for this scone recipe!
These scones were really light as air! I was shocked! I’ve had scones before, but never of this quality. Most probably because they were bought at a coffee shop, and fresh is always best.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe, and hope that you make your own memories in the kitchen!
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Hazelnut Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoons of Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Spice