Surprise everyone on a weekend morning with this tasty Tater Tot breakfast casserole! Simple to make, this recipe features everyone’s favorite breakfast foods like fluffy eggs, lots of gooey cheese, vegetables, sausage, crispy bacon, and delightfully golden brown Tater Tots. Each mouthful is bursting with flavor, and this dish will quickly become a regular meal at your house.
Breakfast doesn’t have to be complicated and while this dish is so impressive, it comes together so easily. It’s great when you’re feeding a crowd or for a quiet breakfast with the family. Tater Tot breakfast casserole can also be customized to suit everyone’s tastes for a delightfully hearty and scrumptious meal.
I love serving this casserole for breakfast and for dinner (who doesn’t love breakfast for dinner)! I know everyone will love its fantastic combination of flavors and will leave the table feeling full and satisfied. Paired with fruit and a fresh pot of coffee, this is the perfect go-to meal.
What is Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole?
Tater Tot breakfast casserole is the ultimate breakfast food! It’s a scrumptious combination of eggs, sausage, bacon, cheese, and tater tots. To begin, we whisk eggs and then mix them with sausage, bacon, and peppers. Then we pour this tasty mixture into a casserole dish and top it with lots of cheese and Tater Tots. Once baked, you’re left with fluffy scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, lots of gooey melted cheese, and golden brown Tater Tots. This recipe combines classic breakfast foods into one simple dish for a breakfast that’s easy to make and even easier to eat!
How Do I Store Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole?
If you have any leftovers (we usually don’t!), cover the dish in foil or plastic once it’s fully cool, then store it in the fridge for up to 2 days. You can also move the casserole to an airtight container and store it in the fridge that way.
Can I Freeze Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole?
This recipe freezes very well! It’s the perfect dish to make ahead of time and freeze for a simple last-minute and incredibly satisfying breakfast. Once the dish has fully cooled, wrap the dish tightly in foil and freeze it for up to 3 months.
How Do I Reheat Tater Tor Breakfast Casserole?
To reheat any leftovers, place them in a microwavable bowl and reheat until warmed through. I like to reheat it on power 6 or 7 so it doesn’t dry out the casserole.
Can I Make Tater Tor Breakfast Casserole Without Meat?
You can certainly make this recipe vegetarian, and there are a couple of ways to do so. You can swap out the bacon and sausage for meat-free alternatives, skip the meat and vegetarian alternatives altogether, or add in a different protein. Black beans or tofu would be delicious in this recipe. No matter how you make it, this recipe will taste fantastic!
Why Is My Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Runny?
There are a couple of reasons your Tater Tot casserole could be runny. If it hasn’t been cooked long enough, the eggs won’t have set, resulting in a runny casserole. But don’t worry, this is very easy to fix! Simply put it back in the oven for a few minutes and try cutting into it again. If the Tater Tots are becoming darker than you’d like, cover the pan in tin foil. This will allow the eggs to continue to cook without darkening the Tater Tots further.
Your casserole could also be runny because you scooped into it fresh out of the oven. While this dish is hard to resist, it needs a few minutes to sit out of the oven in order for the eggs to set. Wait 5 minutes before digging in and the eggs should have firmed up and it won’t be as runny. The casserole will still be piping hot!
Tips for Making Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- This is a great recipe to whip up when you have leftover bacon or sausage you want to use.
- I recommend using cheese you’ve shredded yourself instead of the pre-shredded cheese that comes in a bag as the cheese from the bag doesn’t usually melt as well.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or halved depending on how many people you’re feeding. It’s the perfect dish for a small family breakfast or when you’re feeding a crowd.
- Bacon and Sausage: This dish can be made vegetarian simply by skipping the bacon and sausage in the recipe, or using a meat-free alternative instead.
- Cheese: This recipe calls for Swiss cheese but any cheese will do. Use your favorite or a blend of cheeses for a variety of delicious flavors.
- Vegetables: This is such an easy recipe to sneak in more veggies! Spinach, mushrooms, and leeks would be delicious additions.
More Tasty Recipes You’ll Enjoy
If you enjoyed this delicious Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole, try some of our other amazing breakfast recipes below!
Crockpot Cinnamon Rolle Casserole
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
Cinnamon Raisin Peanut Butter Rolls
Peach French Toast Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- ½ pound (about 5 slices) bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking peppers
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cleaned and finely diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, cleaned and finely diced
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, reserve ½ cup ** see notes
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese or your favorite
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon season salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bag (32 oz) frozen Tater Tots
- green onions or chives for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a heavy skillet on the stove top, cook sausage, drain, and set aside.
- Cook bacon, remove from the pan, and set it on a cutting board.
- Drain the pan and wipe clean.
- Add oil to the pan and heat.
- Cook peppers until soft, remove them from pan, and drain if necessary.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs.
- Add milk, 1 ½ cups cheddar and swiss cheeses, and seasonings, then whisk until well combined.
- Stir in peppers, sausage, and bacon.
- Pour into prepared 13x9 baking dish.
- Top with Tater Tots.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until bubbly and the eggs are set.
- Remove from the oven and add additional cheese, if desired.
- Return to the oven for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and place the dish on a wire rack to set for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Cheese - you can reserve cheese to add to the top of the casserole at the end of baking or add it all at once
Make-Ahead - You can make this casserole up ahead, cover it tightly with plastic, and store it in the refrigerator overnight. To bake, remove from the fridge and set on the counter for 20-30 minutes, then cook as directed in the recipe.
You can also cook the sausage, bacon, and peppers ahead of time to make assembly go faster.