This Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken recipe has plenty of Asian spirit and is one of the most easy-to-make and satisfying dishes out there. This sweet and savory flavorful chicken dinner is the perfect combination of boneless chicken breast and Asian-inspired sauces for a meal you won’t be able to resist.
What is Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken?
Sesame Chicken is traditionally served as an entrée and consists of baked chicken marinated in Asian flavors like soy and hoisin and seasoned with garlic and onion. The combination of sauces gives Sesame Chicken a beautiful golden brown color and a succulent texture.
I LOVE the convenience of making it in a slow cooker! It brings out more flavor, and it allows you to do other things around the house.
How Do I Store Sesame Chicken?
You can store Sesame Chicken in an airtight container and refrigerate it for up to 5 days. Put the chicken in the container before pouring the remaining sauce on top. “Drowning” the chicken in the sauce mixture causes the flavors to merge, making the leftovers even better than the original dish.
Can I Freeze Chicken That is Already Cooked?
You can safely store cooked chicken in an airtight, freezer-safe container for up to 4 months. Then, thaw the chicken in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the slow cooker, oven, or microwave until heated. If you plan to reheat Sesame Chicken in your slow cooker, select the “keep warm” setting and serve once thoroughly heated.
What Can I Use Instead of Soy Sauce in Sesame Chicken?
If you’re looking for a gluten-free alternative to soy sauce, try using Tamari, Worcestershire sauce, or coconut aminos in this Sesame Chicken Recipe.
Tips for Making My Sesame Chicken in the Crockpot
- I recommend salting the chicken 3-24 hours in advance. The salt tenderizes the meat to release maximum flavor during the cooking process.
- You can serve Sesame Chicken with fried rice and topped with chopped green onions for an unbeatable Asian taste.
- If you don’t have cornstarch on hand, you can use all-purpose flour to thicken the consistency of the sauce in this recipe. Remember that you will have to use more flour to achieve the same thickness as you would with less cornstarch.
I know you will love this Sesame Chicken recipe as much as I do. But before you dive into this recipe, here are a few suggestions:
- You can also follow the same steps to make this recipe using chicken thighs or pork chops.
- Avoid overcrowding the meat in the skillet so that each piece sears evenly to a golden brown. Instead, remove the seared pieces just as they start to brown to avoid over-cooking and drying out the meat.
- Add chopped cashews or peanuts on top of Sesame Chicken before serving to give the dish some added crunch.
- Soy sauce – Fish sauce is a tasty alternative to soy sauce; however, you will not want to use a 1:1 substitution. Fish sauce is much stronger than soy sauce, so start with a 1/4:1 replacement and add more to taste.
- Honey – Consider using a 1:1 replacement of corn syrup, molasses, maple syrup, or agave nectar in the Asian sauce blend for Sesame Chicken.
- Hoisin Sauce – You can use duck sauce in Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken instead of hoisin.
More Yummy Quick + Easy Recipes You’ll Enjoy
If you like this Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken recipe, you’ll want to try some of our other easy weeknight meals! Try any from the list below.