Slow Cooker Chicken Meatball Subs is a super comforting and flavorful dish, made with homemade chicken meatballs that are cooked in the trusty slow cooker with seasoning and marinara sauce.
Once cooked through, assembling these chicken meatball subs is as easy as lining each bun with a slice of Mozzarella and filling it with juicy chicken meatballs and a generous helping of sauce.
Enjoy these slow cooker chicken meatball subs for a relaxed lunch or dinner alongside French fries or a leafy green salad.
Why We Love Slow Cooker Chicken Meatball Subs Recipe?
Believe it or not but these slow cooker chicken meatball subs are much healthier than traditional subs thanks to the use of lean ground chicken! Now you can enjoy one of your favorite meals without the guilt of added fat!
Apart from this dish offering a healthier option, it’ll also add convenience to your meal-making. Just assemble the ground chicken meatballs and add them to the slow cooker! And assembling the subs…what a breeze!
You know how I love recipes to be versatile. This chicken meatball sub recipe can easily be adapted by using a different ground meat, adding your own seasoning blend to the meat, or topping the subs with caramelized onions and other favorite sauces.
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Chicken Meatball Subs Recipe
Here’s a list of everything you need to make these slow cooker chicken meatball subs:
- Eggs – This adds moisture and fat content to the ground chicken meatballs and also helps the meatballs to keep shape.
- Breadcrumbs – This acts as a binding agent. You can use Panko breadcrumbs, make your own from scratch, or even opt for a gluten-free version.
- Yellow onion – minced.
- Herbs – I’ve used freshly chopped parsley and oregano. Dried herbs can be used instead in smaller quantities.
- Garlic – Mince 3 cloves or use pre-minced garlic.
- Seasoning – I’ve used salt and black pepper. You could also add paprika or cayenne pepper for a kick of heat.
- Ground chicken – Ground turkey, pork, or beef can be used instead.
- Marinara sauce – Store-bought or homemade.
- Mozzarella cheese – Slices. You could grate a block of mozzarella cheese instead if you prefer.
- Buns – Any sub buns.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common queries to help you with the recipe:
Q. Can I use frozen chicken meatballs for this recipe?
Absolutely! You can use homemade chicken meatballs that you’ve stored in the freezer or store-bought chicken meatballs for convenience.
Q. Can I make my own meatball seasoning?
You bet! Experiment with your own blend of spices and herbs to create a unique flavor profile.
Q. What type of bread is best for meatball subs?
Traditional sub buns or baguettes work well. You can also use whole wheat, ciabatta, or any other bread you prefer.
Q. How can I store leftover chicken meatball subs?
Remove the chicken meatballs from the sub buns and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to make fresh subs, reheat the stored meatballs in the oven or in an oiled skillet.
Q. Why did my meatballs fall apart?
Not enough eggs and breadcrumbs in the ground chicken mixture can cause the meatballs to fall apart. Make sure to use large eggs in this recipe for maximum moisture. It’s not the end of the world if your meatballs fall apart as the buns will hold them anyway.
Tips and Tricks
- You can sear the chicken meatballs in a heated skillet before adding them to the slow cooker for added flavor and texture.
- It’s important to season the chicken meatball mixture or the meatballs will be bland in flavor, especially since chicken is lean.
- Use a high-quality marinara sauce in this recipe for maximum flavor.
- For added crunch, lightly toast the buns in the oven just before assembling these slow cooker chicken meatball subs.
Other Similar Recipes To Make
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Subs
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
- Mississippi Chicken Sliders
- Instant Pot Manna Subs
- Slow Cooker Meatballs
These hearty and comforting slow cooker chicken meatball subs are healthier than traditional beef meatballs due to the lean chicken and are made with minimal ingredients. It’s the perfect budget-friendly meal that can be enjoyed by the family during the week or weekend, or served at parties and social gatherings.