Christmas is just around the corner! And while this festive season is all about being with loved ones and spreading joy, one thing that adds to the festivities is good food. And not just any food, a special Christmassy, cheesy, tree-shaped appetizer that would take your celebrations to the next level!
We’re talking about soft, moist, cheesy bread, which makes for the perfect warm comfort food in the snowy season. We’re talking about pull-apart Christmas rolls arranged in the shape of a Christmas tree!
Why We Love Pull-Apart Christmas Rolls?
Pull-apart Christmas rolls are guaranteed show-stoppers on your dinner table, given the Christmas tree shape! They are sure to catch everyone’s eyes and be the highlight of your feast!
The rolls are made using soft pizza dough and filled with everyone’s favorite mozzarella cheese to add that delicious elastic stretch when pulled apart. But that’s just the filling! The bread rolls are brushed with whisked egg mixture to give them a tempting golden brown finish.
And to add the final touch, the baked bread rolls are topped with savory butter, parmesan, and herbs. This mixture makes the pull-apart Christmas rolls moist and soft while giving them an aromatic and herbaceous flavor.
Pull-apart Christmas rolls are easy to make and assemble. All you have to do is wrap the pieces of mozzarella cheese in 2-inch pizza dough squares, and assemble them on the baking sheet in the shape of a Christman tree. Brush them with the egg mixture, and pop them in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Then add the butter, parmesan, and herbs mixture on top of the freshly-baked rolls, and serve with any tomato sauce.
It’s the perfect themed dish for Christmas to add a fun element to your feast table; however, you can make these pull-apart rolls on any regular day, for dinner, a quick snack, or a potluck supper.
Ingredients for Pull Apart Christmas Rolls
The ingredients for making pull-apart Christmas rolls are everyday items readily available in our kitchens. So, you probably won’t have to make a run to the store to buy anything!
- 1 pound of chilled pizza dough or crescent sheets: I used store-bought refrigerated crescent sheets; however, you can also make pizza dough at home.
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese: You can use cheddar, Fontina, Raclette, Havarti, or a mix of all for extra cheesiness and flavor.
- 1/4 cup melted butter: Bread rolls are incomplete without a melted butter wash!
- 1/2 c. finely grated parmesan: To add a savory and cheesy flavor to the bread’s exterior.
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley and rosemary: To add color and a tempting look to the baked bread.
- 1 egg for greasing the cake: Egg mixture gives the bread that golden brown look we all love!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
People have many queries regarding the pull-apart Christmas rolls; therefore, I answered some common ones to help you make the recipe on fleek.
Q. Can I make this recipe in advance?
You can make the dough for the recipe one day before and refrigerate it. The assembled unbaked rolls can also be made one day in advance and kept in the fridge.
Q. How do I know that the rolls are done?
The rolls take almost 15 to 20 minutes to be fully baked at 450 degrees F. However, the cooking time may vary due to different ovens. Therefore, when you see the rolls turning a beautiful golden brown color, that’s when they are done and ready to be taken out of the oven.
Q. What dips can I serve the pull-apart Christmas rolls with?
These rolls can be served with any tomato sauce, like marinara or pizza sauce. However, you can also pair it up with spinach dip, ranch dressing, barbeque sauce, sour cream and onion dip, or a simple cheese dip.
Q. How to store leftover pull-apart rolls?
You can store the leftover pull-apart Christmas rolls in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 days and in the freezer for 3 months. Make sure to thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Tips and Tricks
1. Pinch the dough’s seams to prevent the cheese from dripping outside the rolls.
2. You can garnish freshly shredded parmesan on top right before serving.
3. Add garlic powder to the butter, parmesan, and herbs mixture for added taste.
4. You can use mozzarella sticks instead of blocks to save time.
More Christmas Recipes to Love!
- Cinnamon Roll Christmas Tree
- Easy Double Chocolate Cookies
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast
- Instant Pot Squash Casserole
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Reeses Pieces Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 pound of chilled pizza dough or crescent sheets
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 c. finely grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1 egg for greasing the cake
- Cut the mozzarella cheese into small 2.5 cm pieces and set aside.
- Divide the pizza dough into two parts. Stretch and roll each piece of dough into a long rectangle, then cut the dough into 2-inch squares (you will need 33 in total).
- Wrap a square of dough around each piece of mozzarella, forming a tightly closed ball. On a baking sheet in the shape of a Christmas tree, put the balls seam down (they should touch). Brush the egg mixture on the dough balls and bake until golden brown for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the melted butter, parmesan and herbs. Apply with a brush to the baked pizza balls.
- This can be served warm with any tomato sauce.