Penne Pasta with Sausage is a hearty and comforting pasta dish made with Barilla® Pronto™ Penne Pasta which reduces the overall cooking time and makes this meal incredibly easy to make.
Apart from being quick to make, this recipe calls for minimal ingredients without compromising flavor. It’s the perfect family meal you can get onto the dinner table in just 20 minutes!
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT PENNE PASTA WITH SAUSAGE
This recipe uses my all-time favorite Box of Barilla® Pronto™ Penne Pasta! The beauty of using this brand of boxed pasta is that it requires less time to cook and with less water too!
If you’re a super busy person who could benefit from getting dinner on the table effortlessly and in less time, you must try out Barilla® Pronto™ Penne Pasta!
CAN I STORE LEFTOVER PENNE PASTA WITH SAUSAGE?
Yes, you can. Once completely cooled, store leftover penne pasta with sausage in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
I don’t recommend freezing this dish, as the spinach will likely become overly mushy once thawed and reheated.
HOW SHOULD I REHEAT LEFTOVERS?
Leftover penne pasta with sausage can be reheated in the microwave, in the oven, or on the stovetop.
WHAT VARIATIONS CAN I MAKE TO THIS RECIPE?
- Sun dried tomatoes can be used instead of fresh cherry tomatoes.
- Use your favorite sausage for this recipe – pork, chicken, beef, or turkey will work. You could even use a spicy sausage for a kick of heat to this dish.
- Add some cayenne pepper or red chili flakes for a spicy kick to this recipe.
- Include other vegetables, such as mushrooms, bell peppers, or zucchini.
- Kale can be used instead of baby spinach. I recommend washing and massaging the kale leaves to make them less bitter.
- Add a creamy cheese sauce to this pasta dish and toss the pasta to coat fully.
- I’ve used penne pasta for this recipe but you could also try cavatappi, rigatoni, conchiglie, tagliatelle, or fusilli.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH PENNE PASTA WITH SAUSAGE?
This penne pasta with sausage can be enjoyed with homemade dinner rolls, crusty bread, or garlic bread, a side of grilled or roasted vegetables, a Caprese salad, or a simple green salad.
TIPS FOR MAKING PENNE PASTA WITH SAUSAGE
- Cook the pasta al dente. It should still have a slight bite to it. The pasta will also continue to cook when added to the pan and tossed with the other ingredients.
- If you can’t source fresh spinach, use frozen but squeeze out as much excess liquid as possible.
- Top each serving with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled feta.
- It’s important to brown the sausage before combining it with the other ingredients. This will ensure it cooks through and browns on all sides, locking in the juices and intensifying the flavor.
- Season the pasta water with salt to enhance the flavor of the pasta and to prevent the pasta from sticking together.
- Add some beef broth to the pasta water or cook the pasta in beef broth to give this dish an even richer flavor.