I Love Ambrosia Salad!
We all have our different takes and variations of this simple, but dessert!
How anyone could say NO to this yummy dish is beyond me. Though, I modify mine. Why? Well, two things come to mind. The first being, I’m allergic to red #5 and I take no chances…so Good bye maraschino cherries! Second, I’m not that fond of coconut flakes or mini marshmallows in it either. It’s a complete texture thing, and I’m sure you all understand this! So here’s my simple recipe for how I do it:
- 1 can of Crushed Pineapples (Drained very well!) sometimes I use a strainer to push the juices out
- 2 cans of Mandarin orange segments (Drained well!)
- 1 tub of Cool Whip 160z or more if you wish (make sure it’s not frozen)
- 1 tub of small curd cottage cheese (I use the small one)
- 1 large box of Orange Jello
That’s all you need!
- I a medium sized bowl, mix the Cool Whip, cottage cheese, and orange Jello. Mix thoroughly to help dissolve the jello mix.
- After mixing these ingredients together (mix them well without macerating the cottage cheese), add in the crushed pineapple and mandarin orange segments. Fold these ingredients in, don’t just whisk or stir. You don’t want to destroy the orange segments
- After mixing all of the ingredients in together, cover and place in the fridge at least an hour before serving. This gives your salad enough time to firm and get cold, how it is best served!
- If you want to make it look pretty, you can do a couple of things. Try using a mold (be sure to use a little spray release in the mold first!), or you can decorate it with a dollop of Cool Whip in the middle and surround it with orange segments on top or around.
What a great and simple dessert to feed & appeal to the masses!
Enjoy, and let your imagination run wild!
Ambrosia Salad Mold
I would like to give special thanks to Monica, owner of Lick The Bowl Good for this great idea on using a mold for Ambrosia Salad. Visit her website to see what she did to make a few changes to make it work!