Instant Pot Chicken and Rice is a flavorful and hearty meal straight from your pressure cooker. Plus, it’s a simple recipe that everyone will love, even your pickiest eater.
The pressure cooker has rapidly become my favorite kitchen appliance. What other small kitchen appliance allows you to cook both rice and chicken at the same time in a single pot? I don’t know about you, but any night that I have to wash only one pot is a winner in my household. Let’s face it, we can find so many better things to do with our evenings then endlessly scrubbing pots.
Frequently Asked Questions About Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Can I use a brown or wild rice instead of white rice
Yes! You can use any type of rice in this recipe that you would like. However, keep in mind that each type of rice cooks different in your Instant Pot. Be sure to check your manual for the correct cooking time for the pressure cooker that you are using.
When I want a little more flavor for my Instant Pot Chicken And Rice, I use a box of Uncle Ben’s Long Grain Wild Rice. I add the seasoning packet on top of the rice as I’m getting ready to pressure cook the rice.
I don’t adjust the cooking time when I’m using the wild rice as it’s still a long grain rice and cooks at the same time in my pressure cooker.
How Do You Store and Reheat Instant Pot Chicken and RiceFor Later?
I’ve found that the best way to reheat chicken and rice is to place your leftovers in a small baking dish covered with foil. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and once your oven is fully preheated, place your baking dish of chicken and rice in the oven and reheat for 10 to 15 minutes until thoroughly warmed.
If you want to reheat in your Instant Pot, I would do a PIP (Pot In Pot) cooking method. Here’s how to do that:
- Add a cup of water into the metal liner of your Instant Pot.
- Place leftovers into a Pressure Cooker safe container, such as the Genuine Instant Pot Silicone Steamer Set cake pan. It’s one of my favorite things to use.
- Place pan on trivet and place into your Instant Pot. Close and lock lid, place vent into sealing position, and press the Manual cook/Pressure cook button (depending on your model of pressure cooker), and set time for 2 minutes. Once done, Quick release all pressure.
Now, if you’re not ready to eat it yet and you’re just meal planning, you can totally place it in the freezer! Use a freezer safe container, and it will last up to 4-5 months. When you’re ready to eat it, remove from freezer and allow to thaw and then cook away!
Save time while reheating and use the microwave. If I am reheating a rice dish like this in the microwave, I always put about a teaspoon of water to my plate over my rice before I start to reheat. It helps prevent the rice from drying out in the microwave.
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Ingredients
- 1 ½ cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (three cloves)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
How To Make
Add rice and chicken stock to the Instant Pot. Season with salt and pepper and half the Italian seasoning. Stir to mix.
Place the chicken breasts on top of the rice.
Season with minced garlic, remaining Italian seasoning, and parsley.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the pot to pressure cook for 10 minutes. Do a natural release for 5 minutes, quick release the pressure, and remove the lid when the pressure has been released.
Turn off the Instant Pot by pressing the cancel button, and remove the chicken. Use a fork to fluff the rice.
Serve the chicken over the rice and top with grated parmesan cheese (optional).
- Make your rice creamy by adding in a can of cream of chicken soup when you add your rice and stock into your pot.
- Out of chicken stock? Use a bouillon base and water to make your own stock
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese and then replace Instant Pot lid for a 5 minutes to melt for a cheesy chicken and rice
- Want to add more zest? Add in a teaspoon of lemon zest and a 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Tangy and delicious! It’ll help create a fresh and vibrant flavor.
What To Serve With Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
I love doing a quick sauté of broccoli with a little bit of lemon, butter, and a pinch of grated parmesan on top.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Thai Green Curry
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Instant Pot Salmon
- Instant Pot Ribs
- The Best Instant Pot Spanish Rice
- Instant Pot Monkey Bread
- Instant Pot Peach Iced Tea