Cream Cheese Grinch Cookies are adorable holiday cookies, colored a bright Grinch-green, sprinkled with powdered sugar, and adorned with a tiny red heart.
The cream cheese added to the cookie dough makes these cookies extra soft and chewy – totally irresistible
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT CREAM CHEESE GRINCH COOKIES
These cream cheese cookies are a classic holiday cookie recipe, inspired by a fictional character called the “Grinch” that Dr. Seuss created.
Grinch-themed cookies, just like these Cream Cheese Grinch Cookies, are colored green and adorned with a tiny red heart. I’ve also sprinkled powdered sugar over the cookies to resemble the white fluffy snow that falls during the Christmas holidays.
HOW SHOULD I STORE THESE CREAM CHEESE GRINCH COOKIES?
These cookies should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge due to the cream cheese in the cookie batter. These cookies will last for 3-5 days in the fridge, after which they can start to harden.
You may also notice that the freshly sprinkled powdered sugar starts to melt, and the red heart sprinkle bleeds the longer these cookies are stored in the fridge due to the condensation.
CAN I FREEZE THESE CREAM CHEESE GRINCH COOKIES?
Yes, you can! Once completely cool, store these cookies in an airtight container or Ziploc bag in the freezer for up to 2-3 months. For maximum freshness, wrap the cookies individually with plastic before storing them in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
Thaw the frozen cookies in the fridge overnight to be served chilled, or heat them for a few seconds in the microwave. The powdered sugar and red icing with a heart sprinkle may not hold up well after the frozen cookies are thawed.
DO I NEED TO CHILL MY COOKIE DOUGH BEFORE BAKING?
I haven’t chilled the cookie dough for these cookies, but you can if you wish to. The purpose of chilling dough is to prevent cookies from spreading flat while they bake.
These cookies don’t need to be overly pillowy.
WHAT VARIATIONS CAN I MAKE TO THESE GRINCH COOKIES?
- If you want these cookies to be gluten-free, skip all-purpose flour and use something like Bob’s Red Mill, a like-for-like substitution. Almond flour could also be used.
- Since these cookies are a lovely green for the Grinch theme, consider flavoring them with peppermint or mint extract instead of vanilla extract. Almond extract is another popular flavor for Christmas cookies.
- Add some mini white chocolate chips to the cookie batter for extra decadence.
- Red and green M&Ms can also be added to the cookie dough and replace the red heart sprinkle.
TIPS FOR MAKING CREAM CHEESE GRINCH COOKIES
- It’s important to allow your freshly baked cream cheese cookies to cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking sheet before being transferred. The cookies need this time for the base to harden, preventing the soft cream cheese filling from spilling out on the pan when you lift the cookies.
- These cream cheese Grinch cookies are perfect for gifting to friends and family for Christmas.
- You can make the cookie dough ahead of time and store it in the freezer, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, and then bake your cookies.
- Use a cookie scoop to create uniform-sized cookie balls. This will also help to bake all cookies evenly.
- Coat the baking tray lightly with cooking spray or line it with parchment paper, so the cookies don’t stick to the baking sheet.
More Easy Christmas Recipes You’ll LOVE To Make
- Pull Apart Christmas Rolls
- Christmas Linzer Cookies
- Christmas Pavlova
- Air Fryer Christmas Cookies
- Christmas Lights Cookies
- Christmas Doughnuts Recipe