The Holiday season is here, which can only mean one thing: Your next great DIY Project! I love making things out of wine corks, and my wine cork Christmas tree is no exception. It’s super easy to make, and you might even have fun emptying those wine bottles to get these corks. However, you can always buy, barter, and trade for them.
Every year, I like to push my creative juices to make something to show my Christmas cheer through me getting my house ready to go with decorations, my seasonal maintenance, and my DIY projects that I love doing. BLACK+DECKER is a household name that everyone knows and can relate to. BLACK+DECKER carries the most trustworthy name of reliability & dependability. I have their 20V MAX Lithium Cordless Drill Driver (I call it the beast because it’s just a pure workaholic piece of machinery that doesn’t stop), and I just love that it does everything that I need to do around the house, except wash the dishes and walk the dogs. If the company can figure that out, I will be so eternally grateful! If you’re not so DIY gracefully inclined when it comes to making gifts or decorations, you can always check out the BLACK+DECKER Holiday Gift Catalog. Some of the highlights I love are: Compact cordless lithium hand vacuum, the Cordless 2 in 1 stick vacuum, and the MarkIt picture hanging tool. As far as I’m concerned, these are gifts that everyone will actually use in their daily life…and not just once a year.
This year I was inspired by BLACK+DECKER to make a Wine Cork Christmas Tree. YES! All out of wine corks and accented with battery operated lights. As soon as I thought about the idea, I went to work. I ran downstairs to get my box of wine corks and to make sure I had enough. Duh! Of course I had enough. It’s me we’re talking about.
I created a small video tutorial to show you how fast and easy it can be. Hot glue mess and all!
Here’s the list of items you’re going to need:
- 1 Flat piece of wood that you can get from any craft store. They normally sell the in a set of 6
- Hot Glue Gun
- 18-20 Glue sticks
- 2 strands of battery operated lights (each strand has 20 lights)
- 5 – 1″ wood screws
- BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Lithium Cordless drill
- 105 Wine Corks (approximately the same size in length)
- With your hot glue gun, take a bottom row of 16 wine corks in place on your piece of wood.
- Space out the lights and glue 4 bulbs in between corks.
- Create another layer of wine corks that are hot glued together. Leave an empty cork space at the beginning and end of each layer.
- Continue the process of layering and lights. After the first two single layer of wine corks, the following layers will be double layers. Please see photo below for example.
- Once your project is dried, turn on it’s back and place 5 wood screws into the base and wine corks to help create a stabilizer. (See video for reference).
- You’re done!
In this photo, you can see where the double layering of wine corks begin to take place.
This is the complete wine cork Christmas Tree! Yes, I still have to clean off those “Glue stick cobwebs”, but besides that…done!
I have to make a small note: When placing your wine corks on the tree, please be sure to check the ends. One end is fatter than the other end. You will create an “leaning tower of Pisa” tree because all of the works are in the same direction. Once you look at the corks, you will see what I mean.
There, now was that hard at all? Nope. It wasn’t. If I can do it, then you can do it. If you have any other ideas of what I should do with my remaining wine corks, let me know! I’m in the mood to create!
Leave me a comment about sharing how you plan to use theBLACK+DECKER SMARTECH Cordless Lithium 2-IN-1 Stick vacuum this holiday season! BLACK+DECKER is giving away 20 of them for those that leave me, and a few fellow bloggers, a comment! SO COMMENT! 😀