Dirt Worm Cups are fun and delicious hand-held treats that are perfect for Halloween or as kid-friendly desserts for parties all year! Make these Halloween dirt cups with just 7 ingredients for a lot of fun and a lot of YUM!
These Oreo dirt cups are incredibly easy to make and allow you to flex your creativity by topping them with your favorite gummy worms and similar gummy insect sweets! The rich chocolate pudding is mixed with semisweet chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, and crushed Oreos.
Creamy, light, and fluffy with loads of chocolate flavor and texture – you won’t want to miss out!
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT DIRT WORM CUPS
Dirt worm cups are fun and delicious dessert cups consisting of chocolate pudding, crushed Oreo cookies, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, and whipped topping.
The pudding mixture is chilled in the fridge to thicken and assembled in individual cups, topped with extra crushed Oreos and Gummy worms to resemble worms in dirt!
This dirt cup recipe is perfect for Halloween parties, although they can also be enjoyed as fun treats for birthdays and other parties throughout the year!
CAN I STORE LEFTOVER DIRT WORM CUPS?
Yes! Oreo dirt cups can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days, covered with plastic wrap to prevent the chocolate pudding mixture from absorbing any odors from other foods in the fridge.
Keep in mind that the crushed Oreo topping will soften the longer that these dessert cups are stored in the fridge.
HOW SHOULD I SERVE THESE OREO DIRT CUPS?
These dirt worm cups are great as individual hand-held desserts that can be assembled in small drinking glasses or clear plastic cups to get the full visual effect of these fun treats. Serve these dirt worm cups with small spoons.
You also have the option to serve this dessert as a sweet dip in one larger bowl alongside a platter of cookies, sweet wafers, chocolate-coated pretzels, and fresh fruit.
CAN I SKIP THE CHILLING OF THE PUDDING MIXTURE?
I don’t recommend that you skip the chilling of the pudding mixture as this helps to thicken the pudding mixture and soften the crushed cookies slightly.
WHAT VARIATIONS CAN I MAKE TO THESE HALLOWEEN DIRT CUPS?
- Use chocolate fudge, butterscotch, or vanilla instant pudding mix instead of the chocolate pudding mix.
- Homemade whipped topping can be used instead of Cool Whip.
- The semisweet chocolate chips can be swapped for dark chocolate chips or chopped nuts, or they can be left out and not replaced with anything else.
- Turn this dirt cup recipe into a Dirt Fluff Salad. Add the entire mixture into a trifle bowl and top it with fine Oreo crumbs and gummy worms!
- Green-colored shredded coconut can be lightly sprinkled over parts of the top of each dirt cup to resemble patches of green grass if you like.
- Other types of chocolate cookies can be used in this recipe instead of Oreo cookies.
- Create layers in these dessert cups by adding separate layers of chocolate pudding, larger pieces of crushed Oreos, and other delicious dessert layers you can think of, such as crumbled chocolate cake.
TIPS FOR MAKING DIRT WORM CUPS
- The instant pudding can be made and stored in an airtight container in the fridge overnight to assemble these dirt cups the following day. Mix the crushed Oreos into the pudding when assembling these dirt worm cups before serving for the best texture.
- Cover the dirt worm cups with plastic wrap when storing them in the fridge to chill. This will help prevent the pudding from absorbing odors from other food in the fridge.
- Most instant pudding mixes are gluten-free, but always check the ingredients on the packaging to avoid food allergies.
Other Fun Kid-Friendly Desserts
- Halloween Bat Cookies
- Monster Cupcakes
- Oreo Mummy Pops
- Mummy Peanut Butter Sugar Cookies
- Easy Halloween Frankenstein Cupcakes