Cilantro Shrimp Salad is delicious and creamy, loaded with juicy cooked shrimp, crunchy bell peppers, fresh cilantro, and tangy sour cream.
This salad is best enjoyed chilled in the fridge which allows all of the flavors to meld together. Serve this Cilantro Shrimp Salad with a fresh wedge of lime and crusty bread.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT CILANTRO SHRIMP SALAD
Cilantro shrimp salad is a nutritious dish that is low in calories and high in protein, healthy fats, and fiber. Shrimp is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, while cilantro has antibacterial properties and is a good source of antioxidants.
Cilantro shrimp salad commonly consists of avocado and lime juice. While I haven’t added these two ingredients to this salad, they are a welcome addition and would also provide a dose of healthy fats, fiber, and Vitamin C.
HOW SHOULD I STORE CILANTRO SHRIMP SALAD?
Assembled cilantro shrimp salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. When ready, serve leftovers chilled.
HOW SHOULD I PREPARE THE SHRIMP FOR THIS SALAD?
I’ve used smaller-sized cooked shrimp for this salad. If you are cooking raw shrimp specifically for this salad, use peeled and deveined shrimp and pan-fry until they turn pink and opaque with slightly firm flesh.
The cooked shrimp must be chilled for this recipe. Keep this in mind if you cook the shrimp from scratch, as you’ll need enough time for the shrimp to cool and then chill in the fridge before assembling this salad.
WHAT VARIATIONS CAN I MAKE TO THIS SHRIMP SALAD?
- Extra vegetables can be added to this salad, such as shredded carrots and sliced cucumber.
- If you don’t enjoy shrimp, use another protein source, such as grilled chicken, seared tofu, or canned tuna.
- Add a sweet twist to this salad by including diced mango, pineapple, or watermelon.
- Instead of a cilantro-based dressing, make a honey-mustard dressing instead.
- Crumbled feta, goat cheese, or queso fresco can be added to this salad.
- Add crunchy texture to this salad by including chopped nuts or seeds, such as almonds, sunflower seeds, or pumpkin seeds.
- Greek yogurt can be used instead in sour cream.
IS THIS CILANTRO SHRIMP SALAD A SIDE DISH OR A MAIN MEAL?
This cilantro shrimp salad can be enjoyed as a side dish or as a main meal, depending on what you pair it with.
This creamy cilantro shrimp salad can be served with crusty bread or your preferred grain.
TIPS FOR MAKING CILANTRO SHRIMP SALAD
- Use fresh ingredients for this cilantro shrimp salad – the texture and taste depend on it!
- When cooking your shrimp for this salad, keep a close eye on them to ensure they don’t overcook. Overcooked shrimp will become tough and rubbery.
- Allow sufficient time in this recipe to chill the salad for at least 15 minutes before serving. Chilling this salad will help all of the flavors to meld together.
Customize this creamy cilantro shrimp salad to your liking with the addition of various ingredients, dressing, and seasonings.