Crispy and crunchy on the outside and soft and tender on the inside- these air fryer sweet potato wedges are the one recipe that you’ll fall in love with, and will end up making again and again. They are the easiest healthy recreation of their counterparts- the fries- and can be paired with almost anything.
In this recipe, I use Trader Joe’s Everything but the bagel seasoning that I used on my Air Fryer Two Ingredient Bagel Stick recipe. It’s a great little ingredient to use as a fun topping!
But before you jump right into the recipe, here’s a bit more that you should know about it.
What Are Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges?
Air fryer sweet potato wedges are basically a healthier version of your favorite potato wedges. They are made using sweet potatoes, which pack in a lot of health benefits, and are air fried as opposed to being deep fried, which is another plus.
Why We Love the Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
Apart from the fact that these are the healthier alternative to your regular potato wedges, these air fryer sweet potato wedges are super crispy on the outside, seasoned perfectly, and then soft and fluffy on the inside- just what you’re craving for.
Can I Use Regular Potatoes Instead of Sweet Potatoes?
You sure can! Sweet potatoes are the better choice, not just because of the incredible flavor they have, but also because they are chock full of nutrients.
- They pack in a ton of vitamin C and fiber, both of which are essential to the healthy functioning of the body.
- Sweet potatoes are also a fantastic source of antioxidants, which help the body combat free radical damage and guard it against chronic diseases.
- They contain both soluble and insoluble fiber, which in turn, helps improve gut health.
- Sweet potatoes are also rich in beta carotene, which has been found to strengthen vision and improve overall immunity.
That said, if you don’t have the sweet potatoes at hand, you can make do with regular potatoes too, and rest assured, they’ll turn out just as good!
How Do I Make the Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges More Crispy?
While air frying, as a cooking technique, gets brownie points thanks to the crispy texture that it lends most foods – so you don’t necessarily need to take any additional steps to get the wedges to turn out crispy.
However, if you still want a bit of extra crunch, add a teaspoon of rice flour or cornstarch to the wedges along with the oil and seasonings. This will aid in reducing the moisture, and will make the wedges a little extra crispy.
How Do I Store & Reheat the Leftovers?
You can store your leftover sweet potato wedges in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The best way to reheat them is to air fry them once again, so that they retain their crunch factor.
To freeze, allow them to completely cool. Then place in a freezer bag, You can store for up to 3 months! To reheat, place back in the air fryer for 6-7 at 350°F, Turning them over at the half way point of 3ish minutes.
Tips & Tricks to Nail Making these Sweet Potato Wedges in the Air Fryer
While these potato wedges are incredibly easy to make, there are a few tips and tricks you might want to have up your sleeve to make sure you nail the texture and flavor.
- Cutting sweet potatoes can be tougher than cutting regular potatoes- use a sharp knife and a chopping board to ease the process, and try to keep all the wedges an even size.
- Make sure you don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket with the wedges. Ideally, it is best to leave a little space between each wedge to allow the hot air to circulate evenly through the space, which will ensure that all the wedges are cooked and crisped to perfection.
- Remember to shake the wedges in the basket around halfway through the cooking process.
- These air fryer sweet potato wedges are super versatile, which means you can season them the way you want to. Use a simple mix of salt, pepper and garlic powder or toss them in some peri peri or taco seasoning mix.
- Want to bring in an element of freshness into the dish? Sprinkle chopped coriander leaves on the wedges right before you serve.
Serving Ideas & Suggestions
These wedges are seasoned, which means they can easily be enjoyed on their own, but if you really want to go the extra mile, you can serve them with a side of guacamole (if you want to keep things healthy) or a spicy mayo dip, or even just tomato ketchup.
These wedges can be a healthier alternative to the classic French fries, and can be served alongside any of your meals- sandwiches, wraps, burgers and even Buddha bowls.
Still have some sweet potatoes left over? Put them to use in this delicious pumpkin sweet potato tart recipe.
More Delicious Recipes to Enjoy Making
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Everything but the Bagel Spices
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into wedges
- In a large bowl add the sweet potatoes wedges, the oil, sea salt, and everything but the bagel spices.
- Toss to combine everything
- Place the sweet potatoes wedges in the basket of the air fryer
- Close the Air fryer cook at 370 ˚F for 10 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
- Serve with your favorite dip if desired.
• It's best to eat the wedges right away, but if you have any leftovers, (which I doubt!) You can also reheat them in the air fryer at 370˚F for 2 to 3 minutes
• You can also make the same recipe with regular potatoes