You’ll never have to buy breadcrumbs again once you try this incredibly easy Homemade Air Fryer Breadcrumbs recipe! Any leftover bread crusts from sandwiches or leftover bread slices can be instantly turned into a crunchy, tasty ingredient with just a few minutes of cooking in the air fryer!
Use your crispy homemade breadcrumbs as a topping or crunchy ingredient in various meals and recipes.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT AIR FRYER HOMEMADE BREADCRUMBS
While breadcrumbs are often used to coat food for deep frying for that extra crunchy texture, fresh breadcrumbs can also be added to recipes like stuffing that don’t typically require a crunchy texture.
The key to getting a good crispy crunch to your breadcrumbs is to cut the bread slices into small pieces and have them spaced out in the basket (or baking tray if using an oven) so that there’s enough air circulation to dry them out.
WHAT KIND OF BREAD CAN I USE TO MAKE AIR FRYER BREADCRUMBS?
You can use any type of bread when making your homemade breadcrumbs in an air fryer. I’ve opted to use white bread, but you can also experiment with whole wheat, multigrain, or oat bread.
WHAT CAN I USE HOMEMADE BREADCRUMBS FOR?
Just like store-bought breadcrumbs, use your air fryer homemade breadcrumbs to bread fish or chicken, to add as a crunchy topping to casseroles, or to incorporate as a recipe ingredient in other main dishes or appetizers.
CAN I MAKE GLUTEN-FREE HOMEMADE BREADCRUMBS?
Absolutely! Use gluten-free bread slices instead of regular bread if you want gluten-free homemade breadcrumbs. It’s as easy as that!
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE AN AIR FRYER? CAN I MAKE BREADCRUMBS IN MY OVEN?
If you don’t have an air fryer, make your breadcrumbs in a regular convection oven. I would, however, recommend grinding the crusts or pieces of bread in a food processor and then baking them. Here are some easy steps you can follow:
- Preheat your oven to 300F.
- Grind the bread slices in a food processor to get a fine consistency.
- Spread the breadcrumbs over a baking tray that’s lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the breadcrumbs for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Add any extra seasoning and herbs.
- Store in an airtight container or use immediately in meals or other recipes.
If you add larger pieces of bread to the oven, you will need to add an extra 2-4 minutes of baking time and then process the pieces in a food processor once cooled.
HOW SHOULD I STORE BREADCRUMBS?
These air fryer homemade breadcrumbs must be allowed to cool completely before being stored.
Once cool, store the breadcrumbs in an airtight jar or container for up to 2 months. Always use a dry clean spoon to decant the breadcrumbs from the jar for use in meals and recipes.
CAN I FREEZE HOMEMADE BREADCRUMBS?
Yes, you can! Once cool, add the breadcrumbs to a Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. You can also store them in a vacuum sealed bag, and it will help with freezing as well!
Defrost the breadcrumbs in the fridge and then add them to the air fryer for a short time to regain some crispiness before using.
TIPS FOR MAKING AIR FRYER HOMEMADE BREADCRUMBS
- Save any crusts and end slices from sliced bread that you’ve used for sandwiches and other recipes during the week to make your air fryer breadcrumbs.
- While I’ve cut my bread slices into squares to air fry, you can also cut them into long strips. The point is to reduce the size of each piece of bread so that the bread can dry faster.
- You can easily adapt the flavor of your air fryer homemade breadcrumbs by using different seasoning blends or adding ingredients such as Parmesan cheese.