These 7 Layer Dip Cups are adorable Mexican-inspired appetizers you can serve at parties, picnics, BBQs, or potlucks.
Each clear cup reveals a layer of refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, chunky salsa, and shredded cheese.
These dip cup appetizers are topped with various delicious ingredients, such as sliced black olives, diced fresh tomato, green onion, and pickled jalapeno peppers!
Serve these layered dip cups with crunchy corn tortilla chips, crackers, or sliced raw veggies.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THESE 7-LAYER DIP CUPS
These 7 Layer Dip Cups are Mexican-inspired appetizers with layers of delicious ingredients, such as refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, shredded cheese, and a combination of your favorite toppings.
This recipe is easily adaptable – simply swap out some of the layers with other ingredients, use a different type of salsa, or add your unique combination of toppings!
HOW SHOULD I STORE LEFTOVER DIP CUPS?
Once assembled, these dip cups can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. Cover the top of the dip cups tightly with plastic wrap to help prevent the ingredients from absorbing odors in the fridge.
I’ve found that these 7 layer dip cups taste just as good the next day. Any crunchy toppings, such as tortilla chips, should be removed from the dip cups when storing these appetizers and can be replaced with fresh toppings before serving the cups.
CAN I FREEZE THESE ASSEMBLED DIP APPETIZERS?
No! The layered ingredients won’t hold up from the freezing and thawing process. It’ll become an ugly, mushy mess!
WON’T THE GUACAMOLE TURN BROWN IN THESE DIP CUPS?
From my experience of making these dip cups, the guacamole doesn’t brown, likely because it is layered between the beans and sour cream. Not much oxidation (the process of oxygen mixing with the food and turning it brown) can take place due to the tight packing of the dip layers.
If you are concerned about oxidation, mix a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice into the guacamole before layering the ingredients.
HOW DO I MAKE MY OWN GUACAMOLE FOR THIS RECIPE?
Mash two large avocados with salt, garlic powder, and freshly squeezed lime juice to taste. The lime juice will help preserve the bright green color of the avocado and reduce browning.
CAN I MAKE ONE LARGE BOWL OF THIS LAYERED DIP INSTEAD?
Yes, you can! I love these individual dip cups for parties as they offer convenience for hand-held snacks. That said, you could easily transform these single-serving dips into one large bowl of party dip.
Use a clear glass bowl (something like a trifle bowl) to layer all of the ingredients.
WHAT VARIATIONS CAN I MAKE TO THIS RECIPE?
- You can adjust the measurements of the ingredients listed in this recipe to make thicker or thinner layers, depending on your preferences.
- Mix taco seasoning into the beans or the sour cream for extra flavor!
- Shredded cheddar or Colby Jack are also great options in this appetizer.
- Use less chunky salsa, or experiment with spicy salsa for a kick of heat.
- Use store-bought guacamole or make your own from scratch.
- Add taco meat as a layer in these dip cups for a delicious meaty flavor.
TIPS FOR MAKING 7 LAYER DIP CUPS RECIPE
- For better control of the layering of the wet ingredients, use a piping bag to pipe them into the cups instead of using a spoon. See which method works best for you.
- I’ve used these cups from Amazon for this appetizer. They are the perfect size for the ingredients called for in this recipe and are clear for your guests to see all those beautiful layers!
- Serve these Mexican dip cups with tortilla chips, crackers, or raw veggies.
More Mouth-Watering Dips!
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 cup guacamole (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Toppings of choice: sliced black olives, diced fresh tomato, diced green onion, diced pickled jalapeno peppers, etc.
- Corn tortilla chips for serving
- Set 8 clear 9-ounce punch cups out on a counter or cookie sheet.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of refried beans into the bottom of each cup and smooth out with a spoon.
- Next, add 2 tablespoons guacamole and spread out evenly.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sour cream and gently spread over top of the guacamole. Spoon 2 tablespoons of salsa over the sour cream layer.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons shredded cheese on top of the sour cream.
- Top the 7 Layer Dip Cups with the toppings of your choice and serve with tortilla chips.
•For me, the guacamole did not turn brown because of it being layered between the beans and sour cream.
•I kept the cups in the refrigerator for a couple of days and in my experience they are best fresh but also still good the next day.
•Here are the cups I used: https://amzn.to/3Liowe1
•For even more flavor, try mixing some taco seasoning into the beans or the sour cream.
•To make a quick and easy guacamole for this recipe I mashed two large avocados with salt, garlic powder, and fresh squeezed lime juice to taste.
•I used a Mexican blend cheese, but shredded cheddar or Colby jack work well.