I’m always looking for super easy, delicious, and healthy meals to prepare for my ever growing family. It’s not always the easiest task to do when I work from home full-time, and pretty much try to run a tight ship of different meal planning and house scheduling for everyone to keep on track. With new mouths to feed, comes new demands of what they “eat and don’t eat”. My cooking should work out just great – please note the sarcasm and obligatory eye roll. With that being stated, I’m determined to make them eat healthy and to get those proper proteins and nutrients that their growing bodies need. This is where Gardein entered my life!
After reviewing their different products, I decided that I wanted to give Gardein’s The Ultimate Beefless Ground a chance to see what it was like: taste, texture, and convincing factor to my family. I was really wanting to know if my family could really “taste” the difference and knew what they were actually eating. I know, I’m such an evil uncle!
To assist in “covering” up the flavor of the ultimate beefless ground, I decided to make some homemade sloppy joe pockets! If you have ever had my Easy pizza pockets recipe before, than you will know that this is where I was inspired to make these. The recipe is super simple to make, and really does can be done in 20 minutes or less. The added bonus? Who doesn’t love a good sloppy joe?
But wait, there’s more! Right now, Gardein is offering you a $1.00 off coupon to use on their huge and amazing line of products! In my family, every dollar is saved is amazing…especially when I know that the food is going to be good for my family and the planet. Now, off to the simple and amazing recipe!
- 1 bag of Gardein the ultimate beefless ground
- 2 cans of large premade biscuits
- 1 can of tomato sauce (8oz)
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (diced and cubed)
- 1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 cup of shredded sharp cheese
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- flour for rolling
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Spray down a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray
- In a medium pot on medium heat, add diced tomatoes and cook for about 7-8 minutes. Add tomatoe sauce, worcestershire sauce, ketchup, garlic powder, onion powder, and Gardein beefless ground. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add in a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside and allow to cool for a few minutes while your are rolling out your biscuit doughs.
- On a light floured surface and small rolling pin, roll out each biscuit into a flat disc shape.
- In the center of each, add about a tablespoon of of sloppy joe mixture.
- Add about a tablespoon of cheese to each center, and then pull up the sides to create a small pouch. Place each of them on a cookie sheet.
- Place in oven for approximately 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before serving.
For those that need a visual, are some photos to help you out along the way!
The end result? They all loved it! That made me super happy, especially since they ate them all and couldn’t tell that I was providing them with a somewhat healthy meal (biscuits aren’t necessarily healthy…but they’re a nice filler when you’re broke!). That makes me one happy man!
Now, go print that Gardein coupon, and enjoy a healthy meal tonight! Go meatless!