Mini Caprese Appetizer Recipe
There’s nothing better than a delicious caprese salad to add a special dash of vibrancy to your palate. Between the freshness of the basil, the creaminess of the fresh mozzarella, and the sweet crunch of the tomato…it’s a perfect harmonious marriage of flavors. If you’ve read my other recipes, you know that I love doing tearing recipes apart, and find new and unique ways to make food fun & creative. Don’t get me wrong, I’m more than happy to slice up a big juicy tomato and then layer out my ingredients. This is just a super fun approach that is not only appealing on the eyes, but great for dinner parties and cocktail parties alike! It’s a great recipe, since it’s all an approach to clean eating, too. I hope you enjoy!
Mini Caprese Appetizers
- 1 carton of organic yellow grape tomatoes
- 7 - 8 large sized fresh basil leaves
- 1 block of organic mozzarella cheese
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of Organic Sugar
- In a small pot over a medium heat, add balsamic vinegar and organic sugar. Bring to small rolling boil until most of the liquid has reduced out of it. You will have approximately ⅓ of your original liquid left. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- With a paring knife, cut off tops of tomatoes and slight hollow out the middle.
- Cut slices of mozzarella, and then make long strips of them. In the end, you want rectangular shaped pieces.
- With a sharp knife, cut thin slices of basil from the leaves. I don't recommend using the stem in this appetizer. On a side note: I found it best to cut the leaves vertically along the sides of the stem.
- Wrap each piece of mozzarella with a thin strip of basil and light push it into the tomato
- Place on plate (or toothpicks) and drizzle EVOO and your balsamic vinegar reduction across.
by David Murphy