It’s taken a little bit of time, but my boyfriend and I have finally come up with an amazing and simply delicious Vegetarian Lasagna made with our own Homemade Fresh Pasta! The next step that were going to get our hands dirty with is making our own fresh tomato sauce! I really can’t wait for that! We’ll be making it by the gallons and storing them!
All of the vegetables we use are completely organic, and are a nice array of different veggies. The one thing to keep in mind in making a Vegetarian lasagna is that vegetables contain a lot of water inside of them. So, in our simmer process of cooking them down…I completely recommend in in draining them to get the most water drain out of them before you add to food processor. I hope you enjoy our recipe!
Homemade Vegetarian Lasagna
- 1 Tablespoon of Minced Garlic
- 1 Medium Yellow Squash (diced)
- 1 Medium Zucchini (diced)
- 1 Bag of Baby Spinach
- 2 Large Carrots (washed & diced)
- 1 Cup Baby Portobello Mushrooms (diced)
- Fresh Lasagna Sheets (refer to recipe)
- 2 Tablespoons of diced basil
- 1 Tablespoon of garlic powder
- (Salt & pepper to taste)
- Spaghetti Sauce
- EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- In a medium pot over a medium flame, add 2 tablespoons of EVOO and minced garlic. Let the garlic get to the point to where it is just starting to get a little brown to it, and then add in all of your fresh veggies (except spinach). Give it a stir. Cover with lid and allow to start simmering and reducing. Stir every 5 minutes.
- Simmer for approximately 20 minutes, and then add in your baby spinach. (Spinach does not take long to cook at all, which is why we add it in at the last few minutes). Allow spinach to wilt, and then take pot off of heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F.
- Drain all veggies and allow to remain in strainer for a few minutes.
- In a large food processor, add all veggies and mix on a medium size setting. We don't want the veggies too extremely thin. Just minced and only slightly puréed.
- In a separate bowl, add in ricotta cheese, basil, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Mix well.
- Then add in your veggies into cheese mixture and fold into each other. Give it a taste to see if you need to add more salt or pepper to your own liking.
- Add a layer of sauce to bottom of the pan and then add a layer of your fresh made lasagna noodles.
- Then add a layer of vegetable cheese mixture, followed by a layer of Mozzarella cheese.
- Continue alternating and finish with Mozzarella cheese on top.
- Finally, add the layer of Parmesan cheese on top of your lasagna.
- Bake in oven for approximately 25 minutes or until cheese has slight tints of brown to it. I love browned bubbly cheese on my lasagna!
- Allow to cool and set for about 10 - 15 minutes before serving.
by David Murphy